Status
Not open for further replies.

ladave

Distinguished member
Well, all the other tests were negative. I have ALS. My neurologist says it appears to be a non-aggressive form of the disease (it being three years or more since my symptoms began and I still have a lot of function). But it is ALS. As I thought. Sigh.

Surprisingly, I am feeling pretty okay today. I'm in a fighting mood, it seems. I'm at my office desk right now sorting out all sorts of messages that have piled up. Feels good- maybe I won't feel this way tomorrow but for some reason I do today. Maybe "knowing" IS better!

I decided to take Rilutek. The neurologist strongly recommended it (and no, Jerry, I didn't fire him:)) I'll also be starting physical therapy. I'll also be consulting an ALS expert, not so much for a "second opinion" as for guidance. I like my current neurologist though, he's a very nice man but still honest.

Well, it looks like y'all are gonna get used to havin' me around! I'm determined to join the "five-plus" club.

Dave

Hi Dave,
WOW you must be a little stunned and relieved to finally know. I'm pullin' for ya. I am glad you are here.

Hi Dave,
I like your attitude! Sorry about the diagnosis, but it is better to know. Now you can fight this ALS thing.
Stay positive!
Leah

Ladave, I'm sorry to hear of your diagnosis but you're heading into it with a good attitude. The fact that you went 3+ years prior to diagnosed and still have lots of function left is a very good sign. My experience personally and with others' posts over the past 5 years is that the longer the time you have with symptoms pre-diagnosis, the longer you will have after diagnosis.

Sorry about the news Dave. Keep your sense of humor and don't give up.
Al.

Thanks, everyone. I'm sure I will be calling on you for support and strength in the days and years (hopefully many years) ahead. Now you researchers out there-hurry up and find that cure, darn it!

Hi Dave,
You have the right attitude, and from the posts I/ve seen from you elsewhere - it is apparent you are poised for a fight!
That's the only way - and you will find it - we all have, somehow.
Best,

Hey Dave,
Like everyone else i am sorry to hear that your news wasn't better ,,but you do have the right frame of mind. Fighting it with a humorous attitude. Take it a day at a time.
Marlo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back