PALS
Country
US
State
Indiana
City
Elkhart
Hi Everyone,

It has been a while since I have been on, so I thought I would write a little update. My husband Bob was diagnosed with ALS on April 25th, 2007. He had Bulbar and lower limb onset. He has had two episodes that caused the left side of his face go numb and the corner of his mouth to droop alittle. No change in the numbness or droop and that all happened several weeks ago. He had another episode in his back that paralyzed him for about 5 minutes and then it went away as fast as it came. At the time I thought well what damage did that do. It was long, the next day, he began to complain that he didn't have enought air to finish his sentences. That was a few weeks ago and there is no change since then. He takes Lyrica for pain. He is in alot of pain in his right leg and some in his left. His hands go to sleep alot and one time he had alot of pain in his left hand. He drools alot especially at night. He has recently been having vertigo.
Dispite all of these things to look at him you wouldn't guess he has ALS. He does limp some.
I took a 30 day leave of absence from work and we have been traveling. Just seeing things and doing things we have always wanted to do. We took our grandchildren up to Sault Ste Marie to the Soo locks and to Whitefish Point to the Maritime Museum and Light House. It was alot of fun. We are seeing all the family, mine and his. We leave for New York in the morning. Not the City, upstate. He has alot of family there. We went to PA to see family he has never met and got alot of info from them reguarding the family history of ALS. Bob is number 8 that we know of. Once this trip is over we are going on a trip by our selves like we did the first week I was off work. We haven't decided were to go but where ever it is we will be together making memories to last a life time. If there is time later I will take another leave of absence so we can spend as much time together as possable as long as he is still getting around good.
I wish and hope that everyone could have the opportunity to make the time that we have last and memorable. We have been together for 26 years and have a lot of memories but these new memories are the ones we are able to create. We are very fortunate to be able to make these memories. There are so many people that don't get the chance. Well I guess I will go for now. Make the most of life and love to the fullest.
God Bless you all
Pat F

way to go

My husband was diagnoised 1999 on our 25th anniversary, what a way to celebrate it.
I wanted to take amonth off work and do what you and your husband are doing.
We where going to go east to Nova Scotia and New Bruswick, but Gary did not want to do it. Now looking back he wishes he would have. So my advice to everyone as long as you are healthy keep going to travell, visit places you want to see, even have a party to celebrate your friendships with friends and family. My words of wisdom " don't wish you would have".

Keep trucking enjoy your time together

I will keep in touch. Thanks Pat F
God Bless

Thank you for sharing, Pat. Your advice is right on target! Cindy

Live today like there's no tomorrow.
AL.

I'm so glad I read your post

My husband hasn't been diagnosed and hopefully it will be something else. He doesn't have a fu appt until November, but we were just talking about buying a camper and traveling the US. We don't want to take a chance of waiting too long just in case. We are going to Italy to visit our daughter this fall and to Hawaii for our 25th anniversary in March. He is supposed to retire in 4-1/2 years and we are worried we won't get to make these memories then, so we are going to get started early. Reading your post sealed the deal for me that we need to do it with or without a diagnosis. Thanks for sharing your summer plan and inspiring us. Pam B.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back