Diagnosis
01/2021
Country
US
State
FL
City
Naples
Husband died last week. Hospital Refused Treatment for his sudden Pneumonia- withheld hydration, feeding, position changing … They said per Hospice instruction. We formally ended his hospice status, but they left him in the same room (contracted with Hospice), kept promising “move to palliative care and symptoms management … we found his dead body in rigor the next morning (no I”one had checked on him during the night or early morning) … still in a fog. Awaiting autopsy …

I am so sorry for your loss. The situation you describe is unbelievable and totally unacceptable. I am sorry he had to endure this.

Steve

OMG, words fail me, you dear lady. I’m sick to my stomach reading this.

Omg, I am shocked, disgusted, and heartbroken for everything you and your love, especially your poor love, went through with that immoral hospice. It's beyond reprehensible and they should held accountable. I'm so, so sorry.

I'm very sorry for your loss and the way that it occurred. I would certainly contact the patient advocate for the hospital or system and file a report, as well as a complaint with:

Bureau of Health Facility Regulation
2727 Mahan Drive MS#33
Tallahassee, FL 32308
Florida Relay Service (TDD): (800) 955-8771
Phone: (850) 412-4303
Email: [email protected]

Best,
Laurie

I am so sorry for your loss and to hear the unbelievably sad story of how your loved one passed. I was shocked to recently learn that calling for hospice care requires that all medical treatment be stopped. I thought that hospice offered palliative care to make people as comfortable as possible in the final stages of life.

Entering hospice should not mean the end of further medical measures to reduce symptoms, provide nutrition and breathing support. Nor does it mean that you are no longer eligible for any daily drugs to reduce blood pressure, treat diabetes, etc. It's just that normal needs outside ALS are paid for by your regular Medicare policy, not the hospice agency.

However, because the hospice agency gets only a fixed monthly rate for caring for you, it's important to get any big ticket equipment you need for comfort before entering that level of care, because that fixed rate will fall far short of what they would pay for that equipment and so typically will not fund it. Tactically, you can sign out of hospice, get something reimbursed and then come back in, but that's a hassle and can fragment your care.

Still, not all hospices are created equal. Some will not even take responsibility for helping with the Trilogy. Others substitute cheaper supplies that may not work as well. So it's wise to interview more than one option in your network.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back