Diagnosis
08/2009
Country
US
State
CA
City
Santa Barbara
Does anyone have experience using THC for advanced ALS? Hal has gradually getting off of his anticholinergic medications - these have included medications to help with muscle spasm, salivation, sleeping, breathing, allergies, and pain (Baclofen, diazapam, glycopyrrolate, benedryl, atropine drops, ipitropium bromide, and others!)- because he was finding that taking the amount he was taking was affecting his cognition. He was afraid he had FTD. So now he is mostly off the anticholinergics, and he's thinking way more clearly (hooray!) - but also, he has on/off diarrhea, nausea, muscle tension, indigestion, and lots of salivation. We have initiated treating the salivation with Botox B. I have heard medical marijuana or THC could help with some of his other problems. Hal cannot swallow or smoke - so we'd need to administer it via his g-tube. Has anyone tried this?

Medical MJ (MMJ) can be obtained in liquid form and other edible forms, and with varying amounts of the active components (THC and CBD, and a whole slew more).

note: THC is the primary 'psychoactive' (read:stoned and hungry) component.

For PALS it "appears" that the 'normal' THC:CBD ratio is more benefical than MMJ with enhanced CBD.

I am not knowledgable enough to address which of your husband's symptoms MMJ could address, although spasticity and lack of appetite are often mentioned.

For a bit more info please see this link showing No.16 from ALSUntangled. ( I was gonna attach it but I don't yet have that priv!)

Here are a couple other links I am aware of:

Amyotrophi... [Amyotroph Lateral Scler Other Motor Neuron Disord. 2004] - PubMed - NCBI

There are also other discussion of MMJ and MJ in this forum, give the Search link a try!

Greg Kenoyer

Florida does not have Medical MJ--but I would not be opposed to my husband ingesting it "illegally". If it makes him happy or feel better why not! I don't have any experience with a peg--but my daughter was talking about a tea to make-for my husband -That seems reasonable to pour down a Peg, right? honestly--what are the cops gonna do? arrest a PALS?

She gave my husband a brownie last year, and he was so happy and stoned that
he didn't even care if he had ALS LOLOLOL!

And in CA it is legal. Get him a Medical Marijuana card, and try the tea, or you could blend a brownie. They also sell oils that might work.

I am based in Norfolk.uk where dr willie Notcutt does his trials with medicinal T.h.c...His is dispensed via an inhaler ..from what i know the t.h.c. is the stoned bit and c.b.d. is more the painkilling ingredient... I heard all this somewhere :)

medicinal m/j i meant:)

When you get a MMJ card, can you get it from the pharmacy or do you need to find an authorized grower?

Does anyone have experience using THC for advanced ALS? Hal has gradually getting off of his anticholinergic medications - these have included medications to help with muscle spasm, salivation, sleeping, breathing, allergies, and pain (Baclofen, diazapam, glycopyrrolate, benedryl, atropine drops, ipitropium bromide, and others!)- because he was finding that taking the amount he was taking was affecting his cognition. He was afraid he had FTD. So now he is mostly off the anticholinergics, and he's thinking way more clearly (hooray!) - but also, he has on/off diarrhea, nausea, muscle tension, indigestion, and lots of salivation. We have initiated treating the salivation with Botox B. I have heard medical marijuana or THC could help with some of his other problems. Hal cannot swallow or smoke - so we'd need to administer it via his g-tube. Has anyone tried this?

Marijuana has been proven to have numerous medicinal benefits. When there are no other options, what is there to lose! This article covers alot. Read how it slows the progression and prevents the death of motor neuron cells not to mention all the symptoms it treats. Who knows....had marijuana not got the bad rap it did 50 years ago and someone today stumbled upon this wild weed and told people of what it did for them medically it might rank right up there with the polio vaccine.

Mich... in California, once you have your card there are dispensaries where you can choose from various forms (inhaled, smoked, ingested...) It looks like Michigan is similar.

I googled "medical marijuana and als" the fisrt two links are pretty interesting. I don't know the validity of the pdf found in the second link, but it sure looks impressive ;-)

Go slow, this stuff is strong as shit

Here's an update: I was able to get Hal in to see a local doctor (here in Santa Barbara CA) who works with medical marijuana. We were able to try some different variants, administrations, and dosages. We're still fine-tuning that. For Hal, the best administration is in a liquid form though his g-tube. And it really is helping! During the day, Hal prefers the high CBD type, which is very subtle, but helps with his spasticity, gut and bladder spasms, and salivation without making him sleepy or unfocused. At night he likes the regular THC:CBD, which still helps with his spasticity, etc, and also helps him sleep. I am SO glad medical marijuana is legal here in CA!

Last edited:
Too bad I live in the UK. I would go for this. Use to smoke a lot in my teens...

Fran good for you! I wish it was legal in FL but we are slow in that department here. Please keep us updated!

Fran, I am THRILLED for you! We tried to get Glen to try it but, as with everything else, it was a no go. Hope things continue to go well!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back