Reason
CALS
Country
US
State
Ga
City
Athens
With thanksgiving coming up I figured why not share some memories.... what are some traditions you and your family do for the holidays?

One tradition we have during thanksgiving is I try cooking a something new, this never goes as planned! Last year I tried to make bread pudding and took it out of the oven and set it on the stove top not knowing the burner was still warm. Well it ended up making the backing dish pretty much explode and we had bread pudding all over the kitchen (along with glass) needless to say we didn't get to try the "new dish" last year.

On that note I hope that everyone has a blessed thanksgiving and gets to spend it with their friends and family! Sending thoughts and prayers out to everyone and God bless!

Manda

wow, that must have been a fun cleanup! I read somewhere that the Pyrex dishes they make now are apt to break or explode if you put them on a counter that has water on it...

I never blew anything up at Thanksgiving, but I remember dropping a chocolate cake upside down in the dog's food bowl at my son's birthday one year! We called it the "upside down expoding volcano cake"

Welcome to the forum btw!

Many years ago our oven died on Thanksgiving day. My hubby decided to put in the microwave oven. Not a good idea. This year he will be making the stuffing and turkey...with my guidance. My youngest son and his wife will be here and are very helpful. All I have to do is make lists...something I'm good at. Her family will be here as well and are bringing three pies. HappyThanksgiving to all of my forum family.

First time I made a turkey for my husband I cooked it upside down. couldnt understand why it had so little meat on it...until I was cleaning off the bone and found it all....on the bottom. lol

Helen.... bet that made for an unforgettable bday :)

Becky... for some reason men think that anything can be microwaved lol.

My most memorable Turkey day was when I lived on the beach in a vw poptop camper, I imued a turkey in the sand just like they do pigs and it was delicious, fixed all side dishes on camp stove and feed many young adults at the beach and my kids came down also. I had two plate fulls left and no refridge, after a bit a young couple came into camp and were hungry, guess that is who they were for. It was a GREAT Day to see people Happy!

We have a big Italian Thanksgiving. We usually start eating at 3 and go all day. Poker at night, out comes the turkey again and sandwich rolls

Our family tradition is that once we are all gathered at table and give a blessings on all the food, we take turns saying what we are most grateful for that year....it is very beautiful to hear what comes from the hearts of all who are gathered around the table. This year I would say I am most gratefull for this internet family. How would we do without it? My heart is full of thanksgiving for all the friends I have here, and especially for the moderators who keep this forum going! God bless you, each and every one! GROUP (((((HUG)))))

Oh Sharon, we tried that once but most of us couldn't because we started crying. We're an emotional bunch. The boys just rolled their eyes at us. My Mom always comes to Colorado to be with us for Thanksgiving and bakes the most wonderful pies!

This is going to be the first year we're breaking a fairly new tradition because of my father's ALS :( My family lives in NY but my parents also have a house on Cape Cod in MA. Usually on Thanksgiving, we all travel up to Cape Cod and spend the long weekend there as a family. Last year, my father was feeling sick & becoming weak but all thought it was because of this veganism diet that he was on and had recently quit. He was still able to make the trip up there. This year, he has been diagnoised and has all of these different machines and a feeding tube so making the 4 hour trip isn't possible for him. The next time he makes that trip will be his last, when my parents move there for good. Even though we will be celebrating in NY, I'm just happy the family is still going to be together this year with the usual menu: turkey, LOTS of gravy, turnups, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, cranberries, stuffing and much more :)

You understand that's what counts...you're together!

Once on Thanksgiving, I had made jello mold, started out the door with it, the bottom fell out of the bowl..splat all over my floor. The best memories were my mama always had Thanksgiving, and her side of the family reunion that day, it would be huge, but so much fun. I sure miss my mama.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING ALL!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back