03/2008
Country
US
State
VA
City
Harrisonburg
Hello Al,
This evening I decided to start at the first post of this forum to get to know you folks from the beginning, and came upon one of your first threads entitled "Where is everyone?" In it you say "I know it is hard for some PALS to do the computer thing but it is not impossible. Let's try to communicate more and get this forum up to what it was originally designed for. I have talked on email with some people from here and they are some of the nicest people and most helpful people that you would ever want to meet. This forum needs to get back on its feet. Don't let ALS beat us. Let's beat it to death with knowledge and participation. An informed group is a group willing to venture into the unknown. We are into unknown territory with most of this disease but by keeping informed and staying in touch we just might be able to beat it."
I just want to thank you for your many posts, for your knowledge which you so freely share with others, for your inspiration, for your welcome to new PALS, CALS, etc.
I hope you are getting on okay. It is going on four years since your post quoted above which was dated 8/4/2004. I know many, many people are indebted to you for your consistent participation, helpfulness, and encouragement. This forum certainly is thriving now and you were definitely correct when you said that the people here are some of the nicest and most helpful people you'd ever want to meet.
All the best to you and to all PALS and CALS,
Jane

Thank you Jane. To be honest I had forgotten about writing that. Some days it seems like I've been here for eons and others it seems like such a short time. My progression has been slow for the first 3 years and the last year has been going too fast for my liking. Still, I know I'm better off than a lot of others so I try not to complain. When I see a post like yours, it makes it all worthwhile. We haven't beat this yet but we may be a bit closer. Take care.
AL.

Al,
I think it's great you took that jump out of the plane. You far surpass me in the courage department! You may not feel up to it now, but you'll always have the memory. Go for it!
Jane

Well said Jane! We echo your sentiments!
Thanks for all your patience, vision, hard work and humour Al!
We have certainly all here been the beneficiaries of it!
Rick & Joan

I agree Al. this forum would not be what it is withoutall you have done for it and for us. Cindy

Hey Cindy
The same that we said for Al goes for you and David as well.....you three are quite a team.....you have all helped to change more lives than you will ever know, I am sure!
The forum certainly consists of all of us together but you folks have really made it happen and we are very grateful! Thanks again!
Rick & Joan

Hello again Al,
I just had to write again re earlier posts as I get to know people's histories here. Hmm.......from stem cells to Cuban cigars in 13 easy posts!
https://www.alsforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=196
Sounds like you folks were having too much fun back in November 2004! But then I don't guess it's possible for folks dealing with ALS to have too much fun, is it?!
Keep the laughter going! Thanks for making me laugh!
All the best,
Jane

Al and Cindy,

I want to thank you too for all you do. Al, I really appreciate your positive attitude, It's can't be easy to see others worse off than you when you are not well. That is true strenght. Cindy, you too. You are so encouraging. You two are great examples, I wish I could be more like you.

Blessings
Robin

Hey Robin, it just takes practice. You'll get the hang of it if you have to.
AL.

hi al

we all ask each other how we are doing and we all have our little/big complaints. but i never get the chance to ask you how you are doing/feeling. i ofton wonder how you are and i read yesterday despite your slow progression in the begining the als has sped up this past year.so now i have tracked you down to this thread...........how are you al? are you ok? i do hope so, as everyone has said you are the insperation to this forum and we all appreciate the dedication and work you do for us. i am still waiting for my son to sort out a paypal account for me, i'll get him on to it this week so i can send my donation. i tried to do it but i found the exchange rates and charges for this confusing.
take care al
caroline:-D

Ya know, since we are on the subject of people that give a lot on this website, I would like to thank Wright. Wright, thank you for giving your time and research knowledge to all. I hope you are doing better yourself...by the way how are your symptoms? Have you any idea what is going on yet?

Robin

Hey man with a LOGO like GRAMPAL that says it all.

You have been Grandpa to so many here on the forum, even those of us older than you.

Thank You So Very Much AL. I mean that from the depths of my heart.

I think we need to thank people while they can read it rather than wait until after they are gone and then send a bunch of flowers. So here's to you AL. A great man, and a great example, that I would never had gotten to meet without this forum. You are a blessing my friend.

Also thanks to Cindy, David, and everyone else, for all their hard work here to help everyone.

Flowers.gif

Last edited:
Hey Capt.Al..
With a logo like mtpockets and a handle like Capt. Al I think you are in the same category as Granpa Al! No shortage of characters on this forum! :)
Anyhow...since this seems like a thank you thread I'd like to add my thanks to you! Guess I feel a bit of a bond as you and I seem to have started with the same type of symptoms and you and Al responded to my first post, but beyond that ...I really appreciate the input and perspective you bring to the forum.
Hi to your sis as well! Glad she is here!
Stay well!
Rick

It is great that we decided to take a minute to let each other know how much we appreciate each other. If I were to start thanking folks individually for making a difference in my life the list would grow into three or four threads! :-D Mostly I am grateful for learning from all of you that no matter what the future holds, I will be able to cope. There are so many of you living with ALS, and your lives are full and happy.

Robin- Al is right. Finding the positive takes practice but after awhile it becomes a habit.

Cindy, As I said in my post above where I was thanking Al, I started at the beginning to get a sense of each one's story. I haven't caught up with you yet, but I gather that you are still being diagnosed. I just want to say that I admire your fortitude as you await a diagnosis. Your join date was 2006 so for two years you've been waiting. That takes courage. I admire your great sense of humor in the face of uncertainty. You always have a kind word for others. Thanks and all the best with all you are dealing with.
Jane

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back