00/0000
Country
US
State
OH
City
Clevelans
Hello!

33yr old Male here. I saw this forum as I hit the darkest spots of the internet and I read some of the responses and saw light. So I wanted to ask your thoughts on my experience.

I am currently having muscle twitches (or spasms) in both of my Calves non stop. It started on October 12th and I am concerned about ALS of course. I do get other twitches on my body a thigh, tricep, shoulder, lip, eyelid every now and then and those never really bothered me. The twitching or spasms in my calves happens non stop when I’m at rest and it’s the first thing I think about when I wake up. I went to my GP he said come back in two weeks if it’s still happening. So of course for the past 1.5 weeks I’ve been non stop googling and it’s taking away from time with my work/family and I know my wife can see the depressed ball of anxiety I have become since it’s started. I have had anxiety in the past.

The other symptom I have been experiencing is tightness in both calves as well. Feeling like I need to stretch. Of course reading the internet the thing I read that stuck out was early symptoms of ALS can be muscle twitching and cramping so that’s why I’m here. Some days I’m convinced it’s early ALS other days I’m convinced it’s BFS. Just looking for some insight and I want to say thank you ahead of time.

It does not sound like ALS. Tightness and twitching can go together and Googling does not help. Sleep, diet, hydration and stretching all play a role, not to mention stress. Magnesium, calcium, sodium and potassium require a balance and when that isn't happening, what you describe can occur. It might also be time to reconsider your mattress and pillow, since improper sleep positioning can lead to both twitching and tightness.

Best,
Laurie

First off, thanks for the quick reply. I did have all of my bloodwork done and it all came back perfect I.e. potassium, magnesium, calcium, and electrolytes. That’s why I was even more worried when nothing came back wrong from those tests. I have read a lot of stories of people have calf twitching that lasts days, weeks, months, and years hoping it’s nothing. Also, thanks again for replying my nerves have really calmed down a lot.

I guess my fear is that this is the first sign of it and that’s why I went down the google hole. Thanks again for the reply it means A LOT.

Blood work shows a very tiny % of the electrolytes, so it can be heavily influenced by hydration, etc. That's why tinkering with your diet can still be rewarding.

Yes, calf twitching is very common. Your calves get a lot put on them. Stretching morning and night can help as well. Some people take a hot shower or bath before bed, or use a low voltage heating pad while asleep to help relax the muscles. A few drops of magnesium lotion on hot twitching spots may also be worth trying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back