Status
Not open for further replies.

Shir

I have never written any messages on your forum but I have been reading off and on since August 2005 when my father-in-law was diagnosied with Bulbar ALS. He passed away on Thursday March 9th at 6:30 p.m. He was at home with all his family present as this is where he wanted to be. He was on continuous oxygen and bipap. He didn't want the vent. Since Xmas til about the end of January he lost about 11 pounds, so they put him on feeding supplements but he didn't really gain much weight back. He could still walk with help up til about the last week and half, which then he was bedridden and we got him a hospital type bed for his room. When he wasn't too tired he could still write us notes. I feel for everyone on this forum and am so glad I found it because I learned alot about this disease from all of you. We are now trying to move on and remember all the good times and what a beautiful man is was.
Thank you again for all the support and kindness I have read on this forum.

Shirlene

Hello Shirlene. I am sorry for your loss of your father in law. It is hard enough to deal with this devastating disease without losing your loved ones so quickly. I am glad we were able to help you through this difficult time. If you need anyone for support please come back here. We try to be as helpful as we can. Once again I am sorry for your loss. Take care. Al.

Dear Shirlene-Very sorry to hear that you have lost your father in law. It sounds like it was a peaceful ending, which is what we all hope for our loved ones. Moving on is the hard part, especially the first year, as you all mark the passing of each holiday and family occasion without his presence. I can't say it gets easier, it's just different, that's all. I hope that your family takes time to grieve and not feel pressured to get back to normal too fast. You sound like a loving family member. Take care of yourself.

Liz

Shirlene-

so sorry to hear about your loss. I lost my father last April to ALS he also had bulpar on set. He was still able to walk, but was very weak and lost his speach in March. Reading your story was so similar to mine. My father was diagnosed in 10/04. It was a very quick progression. After we learned about ALS we think he was having symptoms for about 4 years proior to diagnosis.

At this time while you are grieving and there are so many things your family has to do . I wish you strength and peace. It is very hard for the caregivers and family after the death of a loved one. Be kind to yourselves. It's almost been a year and it is still very hard.

I find stregth in my family and the relief that my father is not suffering anymore. My thoughts are with you and your family at this difficult time.

My husband and I are truly sorry for your loss. It is very difficult to know what words to use at a time like this. I have found since my husband was diagnosed with this illness that there are no words in the english language that can describe the pain one feels in their heart. My husband is a wonderful caring man and I have asked myself a million times why? I do want you to know that our hearts go out to you at this very difficult time.

Sandy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back