Reason
Lost a loved one
Country
US
State
KY
City
Stanford
I am wondering what kind of time to expect to get EMG/NCS results from Dr.
Do any of you remember how long it took to get your results? My mother had her tests done on 3/5. We called 3/13 and were told the results were not in yet. It is now 3/19 and we have still not heard from the Dr.

Hello Kylisa

If your EMG was performed by a physician (and it certainly should have been), test results are instantaneous. As I was getting my done, we were discussing it as it was being performed. I'm not sure what is happening in your case. I would insist that they give you the results immediately.

I had my test 6 weeks ago and no word yet as to when I see the consultant for the results - but different country

I always got results same day even when it was just a technician doing testing.
AL.

When I had my EMG the doctor knew results right then but would not give me the results since I was there by myself. Had to wait for 5 weeks for my visit with the speciality clinic. At that visit the doctor apologized for making me wait but said that they just cannot give such devastating news when I was by myself. I had to bring my husband with me to the specialty clinic visit. This was at UCLA. Now I always bring someone with me - besides I don't drive distances.

Sharonca

What we were told the day the tests were done was that there is damage throughout her body. The neurologist that did the EMG did not elaborate any further, except to tell me that she had no sensory damage. He only told me that because I sorta forced the issue. He told us that he would have to interpet the readings and do up an official report for the neurosurgeon that sent her for the tests. He did say his report should be ready in a few days. It has now been almost 3 weeks and still no contact from the neurosurgeon. I have already stated in previous posts that I suspect she will be diagnosed with advanced ALS.

Like you were told earlier, the doctor should have been able to determine the results as he was doing the tests. I hope you get some information soon. As you know the needle portion of the test is what the doctor would use to look for als. Sorry you have to go through the not knowing..

Hi,

I also got my results as the Neurologist was doing the tests. The first one who DX me talked the whole time about what he was finding. I was by myself on my lunch hour. I went back to work and met with coworkers on a project. After I went right to church, met my new priest told him and got a blessing. At the second opinion at ALS clinic my husband was there and they said, maybe MMN. But they kept us informed during the whole EMG/NCV. They both answered all my questions as we went along.

It is so odd to me that there are so many different ways that Dr. acts toward patients. Sorry you have to wait. It is awful. Sincerely, Peg

Kylisa - I think I misunderstood when I replied. I too had my first EMG and the doctor performing that test could not interpret the test at the time. My neurologist said that not all doctors who do EMG's can interpret on the spot. The neurologist who did my second EMG is now my treating neurologist and he could have told me the results - just wouldn't. The first doctor is someone who does EMG's out of a strip mall. The second is the lead doctor at a major ALS clinic.

Sharonca

There was no offical diagnosed at the time of the tests. The medical center where the tests were performed is listed on the ALS Association's website as housing our states leading ALS clinic.The neurologist that performed her EMG will most likely be her treating neurologist. The tests were ordered by a neurosurgeon. Even if he could have gave her an official diagnosed he wouldn't because he was not the ordering physician. He did give her a list of different things that could be causing her issues. The only single disease that covers all of her symptoms is ALS/ Bulbar Palsy.

The results were to be collaborated into one report from findings on the NCS and EMG and sent to the neurosurgeon.

I see, please keep us posted on updates, we understand this is a tough time, and your mind is probably going a mile a minute. Thinking of you.. Hoping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back