Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
New York
City
Rochester
I do not know if anyone can help, I understand that ALS is a "rule out" diease, however are there indicators in the blood work and EMG? I have sever muscle weekness in one arm, can lift very little, and fasciculations. The doctor states that I have a pinched nerve or ALS he cant be sure. Blood is normal at this time. Emg shows some abnormalities, but he did not go into. My question is with such weekness, would there be some type of indicator of ALS in blood, or what do they look for. Also would the emg show something other then minor changes, or can this be just the early stages, and it will show as thd diease progresses. Any information would help.
Thanks

Diagnosis

I have been dealing with ALS since 2002. At first, they thought it might be multi-focal but after enough EMG's and nerve conduction studies came to the conclusion it was ALS.

They did blood work but just to confirm nothing else was wrong.

I was told that they would test for everything else and go from there. ALS is an umbrella term for a number of nerve related problems.

I have found that a positive attitude and prayer are my best medicine -- so don't be afraid.

Sweet Ol Bob

Question for Robert

Hi vrt749...sorry to hear about your symptoms. I too have weakness in one arm and fasiculations body wide but no diagnosis so far. All of my bloodwork and my MRI were all normal. Even EMG was normal showing only fasiculations. Frustrating! I don't have an answer to your question...I can just sympathize with what you're going through.

Vrt749, sorry to hijack your thread but I have been wanting to ask a question of Bob. I noticed in one of your earlier posts that your symptoms starting in your hands. This is how mine started as well...about seven months ago with just a stiff/slightly weak feeling in both hands. This has progressed into weakness primarily in my left arm (right hand still feels stiff) and cramping and fasiculations (started in late March). I was just wondering if you might give me some more detail on your early symptoms and progression.

I feel that through prayer, my own and friends and family, I have been brought some peace about all that is happening to my body. I was frantic when this started because I have two young children. My symptoms have not gotten better but I feel more at peace. I hope He will guide me through whatever this life has in store.

Thanks so much,

Tracy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back