Country
US
State
NC
City
NC
Hello and thank you in advance:

36 y/o male former military.

Around 2 months ago started to experience quick and short tingling in genitals with forward flexion of the head. Shortly after this, I began to experience urinary frequency, feeling as though I needed to urinate right after I had finished urinating.

Tingling with forward flexion has stopped completely at this time (Lihermettes maybe?). Urinary frequency continues.

Left upper extremity tricep began twitching approximately 3 days ago. No sign of clinical weakness. Have been running regularly 1-3 miles a day as well as working out despite above symptoms. Anxiety is very high right now as I am terrified. Sleeping has been terrible the last few days, have been experiencing Hypnic jerks also known as nighttime myoclonus (have had this intermittently in the past, but not every night like this).

Went to Urology whom sent me to neurosurgery,
completed c-spine and L-spine MRI’s. L-spine negative, C- spine with some mild to moderate stenosis. Urine and blood testing negative. Neurosurgery noticed bilateral hyper reflexia in my patellar tendons.

Requested consult with neurologist.

Absolutely terrified. Your guidance is very much appreciated.

Hello- please make sure to read here: Read Before Posting. It addresses such things as sensory issues, etc. Not sure why you've arrived at ALS (did you Google "twitching"?) but urinary frequency/urgency and tingling in genitals are not at all anything to do with an issue with motor neurons. Keep following up with your doctors, but pretty sure this forum is not a place you need to dwell.

Take care

Thank you for your response, I guess what led me here was, yes, twitching taking place, but also having hyper reflexia (bilateral) as well as urinary frequency.

I am no longer experiencing any tingling or parathesia at this time.

Directly quoted from the above posted link (make sure to read it- it covers a lot of information):

Hyperreflexia
Hyperreflexia, or overactive reflexes, cannot be judged by you. This determination must be made by your PCP or neurologist. Slightly overactive reflexes are not uncommon and, especially if they are bilateral, may be meaningless.

Hopefully when you see the neurologist you will be reassured that ALS is very unlikely as you don't have any of the hallmark symptoms. I hope the post shiftkicker directed you to help you see that as well.
Let us know how you go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back