Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
IL
City
Chicago
Let me start by saying everyone in the forum is in my thoughts and prayers. I was recently diagnosed with MS (April) due to lesions on my brain and spine. For the last two weeks I have had twitching which started in my calf and has now spread. The calf is constant and the other body parts are intermittent. I have no weakness, in fact my neurologist said my physical exam wasn’t consistent with MS but my MRI’s were. I asked him if the twitching could be from MS and was told he could only rule out ALS after an EMG. So now it is in my head that he thinks I have ALS. EMG is scheduled for Wednesday. Just curious if anyone had just twitching and no weakness as a first symptom.
Thank you for taking the time to read.

Hi Cheermom-

Please make sure to read here. It covers many of the things that bring people here when they search online. The link does explain about twitching in detail, but basically ALS twitching comes after weakness due to how that disease progresses. MS can also cause twitching, but it's a different process and is accompanied by other symptoms. MS must be an overwhelming diagnosis to find yourself with and I am hoping your appointment on Wednesday helps reduce your stress a bit.

Take care.

Thank you ShiftKicker!

The please read section is very helpful. I appreciate it. What has me a wreck is the neurologists response. I guess another 48 hours and I will know for sure.

Thank you again and be well.

EMG are done for many reasons, it is not just an ALS test, but a tool neurologists often use. I hope all goes well, but twitching without weakness is not a scary ALS indicator. Let us know the results.

Thank you again for your responses. I just wanted to let you know I had my EMG yesterday and it was normal.

I truly appreciate your time. Take care!

Thanks for letting us know. wishing you the best with your MS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back