Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Florida
City
j
I'm 23 years old, Male, so by some statistics I shouldn't have to consider this but I'm genuinely terrified here.

About three weeks to a month ago, I noticed my left leg was slightly heavier to move than the right one. I just assumed it was just me being phyiscally imbalanced since my right is my dominate side. Not even a week after that, it's been a struggle to keep my head upright. The muscles seem to give out, even pulling on my back to where I can touch my chin to my chest.

I woke up 3 days ago barely able to move my left arm. Like it was there, but it required so much will to do so. It felt heavy and I couldn't grip things the way I used to. I can't say I felt numbness in my heads, just I couldn't apply the same pressure as I used to, especially with my pinky/ring finger that would give way to everything. The same day, I tried eating something as simply as a Twizzler and gagged it right up. Since then, anything remotely solid like meats and such take so long to get down, without having an drive to throw them up.

Considered by my symptoms, I went to the ER and the doctor said she didn't notice anything wrong. She did a strength test and even a CaT scan and I proved alright. But as I was doing it, I noticed my head getting heavier and my smile isn't as strong as it used to. My higher cheeks don't move as they used to, looking like I have a lot of sagged skin. She still scheduled me a Neuro appointment but unfortunately the earliest isn't till April so I'll have to wait on the EMG and so on.

Today however it's like things are going down hill rapidly. My tongue is a lot weaker. A lot, like it sits on the bottom of my mouth every time I form words, which makes me sound silly. It looks like, though I'm no expert, foot drop in my left leg, my neck feels even heavier which me walk lopsided, and my breathing even while rest feels harder to do.

Now, I've yet to be diagnosed, so this could all be something else entirely. But If I have ALS, does it progress that quickly? It's insane, I felt fine not too long ago. Suddenly, it's if I'm a few moments away from falling over

I'm scared folks and if there's any insight you all can give me, please I'd appreciated

But If I have ALS, does it progress that quickly?

ALS doesn't progress that quickly. If you get any more symptoms, go back to the ER.

If your symptoms really were ALS, you would never have tested "alright". And the ER doctor would have noticed if you had symptoms of ALS.

If you want to stop being terrified, stop reading about rare deadly diseases on the ’Net. Go do what healthy 20-something males do on spring break -- chase women and drink the adult beverage of your choice -- instead of trolling the cripples on the ALS board.

I'm sorry if it came off as trolling or anything. I was just honestly frightful. Not to disrespect anyone who's has to deal with this deadly disease.

I'm sorry if it came off as trolling or anything. I was just honestly frightful. Not to disrespect anyone who's has to deal with this deadly disease.

Your story isn't disrespectful. It's simply not believable. It sounds like something that a bored high-school or college student with too much free time on their hands during spring break would invent for a few giggles.

My previous advice still holds -- if you get any more symptoms like those you reported in your first post, go to an emergency room immediately. Your odds of having ALS are essentially zero, but there are lots of other things that can cause serious and unnecessary problems if you wait too long to treat them.

It's just that your symptoms are not indicative of ALS.

Way too fast for als

Actually b/c of fast progression I would wonder if u had guillan Berret syndrome ( sp?) If
Ur symptoms progress please go to er asap. This is life threatening.

I don't believe you have als either. But you don't want to hear that. If you want to listen to anyone please listen to Tr, he knows his stuff.

I know you will be back and my advice is stop oogling dr go og le. He's a quack.

Kel it's spelled Guillain-Barré.

If the more you read the more symptoms you quickly develop, you may be somatazing.
You can find that on the 'net, too.

Doesn't sound like ALS at all. Sound advice is to take a deep breath and relax. What for the neuro appointment. But if more symptoms pop up, continue to seek treatment. It could be something else that is completely treatable.
Best of luck
Meg

I agree that in your case, things are moving too fast for it to be ALS. GB, as stated above, on the other hand, does move very fast.

If your symptoms continue and get worse, you need another visit to the ER.

I'd also see if you can be put on a cancellation list so that if there is a cancellation with your scheduled neurologist between now and your scheduled appointment, maybe they can get you in sooner.

I apologize if my story was unbelievable or exaggerated. And in a bit, It was largely my panic in feeling like all of this is overwhelming me at once, adding to the anxiety.

Right now, my condition doesn’t seem to be any worst off. Considering I’m not anxious after digesting all the material I read at once my breathing seems fine, though I still have this lump feeling in my throat, which isn’t a symptom of ALS based on what I’ve read. And in stupidly examining my tongue in the mirror and talking to myself, I don’t think I really have anything there. And my gag reflex is down, blaming that on my fears too. My left arm feels a lot better as do my hands, so I’m putting that up with anxiety/stress as well and my own vivid imagination. I’m sorry for even including those in the first place.

Guillain-Barré would make a lot of sense since I had bronchitis in Janurary, then a sinus infection mid February. Does it take that long for the Syndrome to take effect? I saw things from 72 hours to a few days, not weeks however.

Either way, still my concern is still with my left leg which still feels heavier to move than my right one. Again, I’m no expert on what equals a foot drop, but it feels awkward to walk. Like my left ankle gives in a bit more to the step before it picks off the ground. I’m not stumbling, tripping over my toes, or sliding on the ground so far. My neck still feels like my head is heavy, especially when sitting down.

So far I’m still able to walk on my toes and heels on both feet and even balance myself on one leg at a time. But with AlS would I be able to do that and then I slowly lose my strength or would I just wake up, and my foot is slapping the ground?

I have called the offices where I scheduled my neurologist (Mayo Clinic) but they’ve told me that don’t have a cancelation list and simply just to keep calling for any openings. So my appointment in April stands.

So sorry that you're having all this anxiety to deal with. Foot drop was gradual for me, first noticing that I had trouble with dragging my clog on the right foot as I walked and then occasionally tripping for no apparent reason. I was unable to stand on my toes on the affected leg. As far as speech goes, others close to you are more likely to notice changes before you. Stop examining your tongue in the mirror, it's pointless and will only serve to increase your anxiety.
I saw Dr Blaylock at Mayo for my second opinion and was treated well.
Please take to heart what the other forum members have told you.

0321Floridason,

I just got off the phone and the Mayo Clinic in Florida has a cancellation for March 20. I know because the young man tried to give it to me. I need mine for late June and the calendars aren't open yet. The number is 904-953-0321. You had better make it quick, since you can't seem to lower that anxiety level.-

Floridason,
GB is progressive without treatment, so now I doubt you have that since you are better. But, if you are sick you could have a virus that has run amok in your body. For your leg 'weirdness' go to your gp and ask for a Physical Therapy consultation. They will examine your leg and walk and let you know whats up . Good luck to you.

Despite what I said I feel, I’ve significantly noticed things aren’t getting better.

Currently, my left arm, particularly at my shoulder is weaker. Not immobile, but that it’s looser because muscles that should be working, aren’t. My left foot is worst, along my right hand, there’s significant weakness that my GP noticed. My tongue and voice is weaker as is the muscles in my face. I don’t have difficulty swallowing but stuff feels like it just goes down way too easy. He got me a stat MRI scan, which I completed this morning and it came out clean. I wanted to be happy about this until I found out that ALS doesn’t come up on an MRI.

I even brought up ALS concerns and GB and he told me I have nothing to worry about. Still, he arranged for a neurologist he knows to follow up with me. I’m waiting for that now.

I called back Mayo and they told me they still don’t have any openings so I must have missed that chance.

I appreciate everyone’s help and comments, wish me the best. I really hope this isn’t ALS, the rate is insane. And if it takes as long as people say to get diagnosed for good, I won’t even have a chance at medication.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back