Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
TX
City
McAllen
At the beginning of this month I noticed my legs felt weak, like they were just tired. I googled and went down the ALS rabbithole. I'm 23 years old, and I know ALS is very rare, but it feels very real. I don't have insurance so I don't have someone to visit and talk to.
At the beginning of this month I noticed my legs felt weak, like they were just tired. Then starting two days ago I noticed my hands trembling, when holding a pencil, I noticed how it would move. I noticed also my accuracy typing on my computers keyboard was a little off and definitely out of the ordinary. As well as when I'm on my phone.
I've had nights where I wake up and my right hand is completely asleep and it's slow when I try moving it to wake up. My right calf has been twitching as well. Which I know isn't typically an early indicator. When laying down I sometimes feel my legs warm? And somewhat numb? Pins and needles + fire? I've had a couple of times where out of nowhere my right foot or ankle completely moves on it's own like a mini kick. Hard to describe. Could I be making all of this up in my head? Am I being hyper aware? This whole staying at home thing has been making me a lot more anxious than ever before.

Thousands of Americans have falsely convinced themselves they have a
serious disease, after turning to 'Dr Google' – according to new research.
Instead of alleviating concerns, 74 percent of those who have self-diagnosed
online searching for their symptoms made them worry MORE about their health.

That is due to the answers given by Dr Google, of internet medical advice,
was found by researchers to be misleading without proper evaluation by a
a qualified physician.

Sixty-five percent of respondents who used the internet to self-diagnose
themselves the results show typing your symptoms into the search bar might
do more harm than good.

"Could I be making all of this up in my head?" YES.

"Am I being hyper aware? YES.

"This whole staying at home thing has been making me a lot more anxious than ever before."

Millions of others have found a way to deal with it... It's being mature.

Hi, Texas, while Al expresses it bluntly, what it boils down to is, there's no reason to worry about ALS but a lot you can do on your side to feel better and less anxious.

Pins and needles often relate to work and sleep positioning. You want to make sure you're keeping a neutral spine while seated, and if it's time for a new pillow, mattress, or something like a fan that makes you more comfortable and supported, go for it. Lack of refreshing sleep leads to all the things you're talking about. Every little twitch is magnified when your brain is amped up with no place to go.

My prescription as not a physician is -- check out your positioning and upgrade if needed. Go on YouTube or whatever and follow along some stretching videos. Take a walk somewhere green. Stay hydrated. Try some meditation (also great apps/vids out there). Discover some new music and films. And find a way to share/connect with someone else, whether in a Zoom affinity group, reading a great book, or considering a pet (shelters still have them). The keys to not being anxious all the time are in your hands.

Best,
Laurie

Hi You said it yourself kiddo. You slid down the rabbit hole. I am not a Doctor. I am a person with ALS, and from your research I'm sure you gleaned the disease manifests differently in people. The thing I want you to keep in mind is that no matter how it starts, the same things happen. What you have described is not ALS. I don't know how you went from tired legs and shaky hands all the way to a fatal disease that has no treatment or cure. I am not saying don't talk to your Doctor, but it whatever it is, it's not ALS. You Stated you currently don't have insurance, but you might want to call your pediatrician, seeing he/she has known you and just tell him /her your concerns, they could refer you to someone. Happy life.

Hey guys! I really appreciate these responses, my mental health has been taking a great decline with the pandemic hitting hard in my region of texas. I wanted to ask, both my feet have started to hurt lots, especially when trying to raise the front of my foot up. My feet like pre cramp? Should I try to get a neurologist appointment? It's tough with everything going on. I'm in a lot of pain in both my feet, almost burning/tingling? Like a cramp almost.

Please visit with your doctor if you are unable to believe the folks here. Closing thread. Please do not open another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back