Other
Country
US
State
Tennessee
City
Clarksville
Hello all.

My name is Nick. I've had anxiety for about the past 6 months. Never before did I have it, but it started as an initial burst of anxiety about my head. I later got an MRI(no contrast) looking for a brain tumor, but it came up clean.

The thing is, after that, I began twitching. I believe this twitching was caused by anxiety, so I can believe that. I can understand that.

The problem is this weakness. Over the course of the last 3 or so months, I've been experiencing a decline in my physical abilities. It's not like I suddenly get shaky and weak, but I am weaker. I cannot carry as many groceries, I get tired and burning or sore much more easily, and my legs have recently started to feel subtly the same as I walk. I do not pay attention to each and every step, but my legs are worse at going up and down the stairs, for example. It also feels like it takes a bit more effort to get up.

I went to the neurologist after the MRI before the weakness became as noticeable as it is now, and she did some basic strength tests and said not to worry. I wanted an EMG, but she didn't go through with one.

So essentially, my weakness is real and feels progressive. It felt more obvious in my arms a couple months ago, when things like picking up groceries felt difficult(I typically haul several bags at once, and just simply it was harder to lift it. I had to work very hard to lift almost the same amount), or picking up my laptop with one hand felt very hard and awkward. Now I feel like my whole body is getting weaker.

I know the doctor was looking for clinical weakness, and I simply wouldn't be at the point yet where I wouldn't have any functionality. Is it possible I've noticed the decline of weakness because I've been more aware of it?

My anxiety is not such that I have multiple, constant panic attacks. It is more like a slow, steady stream of stress and worry.

I thank all of you for your time and strength.

You do not have clinical weakness, you have perceived weakness.
Go and read the sticky - click on Do I have ALS? Is this ALS? at the top of the screen and then read the sticky.

Then go back to your doctor and explain that you need medications and psychiatric assistance with your health anxiety because you are so bad that you are actually trying to make dying people pity you and tell you that you are so sick.

This is a serious disease, don't wait another day, you need help and immediate treatment.

You do not have a single symptom of ALS, I can tell that even from a text post.

All the best being treated for your health issues, please do not continue posting here, especially do not try to word your 'symptoms' differently or 'add' a thing you forgot, you won't convince anyone here.

You don't have ALS. Read the stickies again. You need a psychiatrist in the worst way. Please don't post anymore on here because we can't help with your issues. Call you doctor now and get the help you need. Stay off the internet for medical advice. It will only add to your anxiety.

I would like to apologize. I typed in haste and did not mean to offend anyone or sound like I was seeking pity. I would hate to come off like that. I am not one who will spam these pages with question after question, and I am not someone who will beat a dead horse.

I thank you for your responses. I will re-evaluate my situation and move on.

Thanks again, and I wish all of you the best.

Regards,
Nick

Thanks again, and I wish all of you the best.

Regards,
Nick

Best of what Nick?

I'm getting tired as all get out with the "wish you well" crap.

If you don't know what to say, don't say anything.

You need to understand what anxiety can do to your body.

Feeling weak, shaky, dizzy, having twitches, feeeling like you are on a physical decline, is all part of anxiety, and it will only get worse if you spend your time on forums like this one.

You are flushing your body with cortisol with the constant stress, and this is what you need to take measures about. See a counsellor, and get hold of your health anxiety. Health anxiety can take over your body and physically wreck you.

You do not have ALS. Good luck!

Well -- Several of us have tried to share our experience with you and your fears.

The consensus seems to be that you need to resolve your issues with medical professionals and/or do not have ALS.

We do empathize with your fears, but there is no more we can help you with at this time.

This note is not to deter you from your investigations, but just not on this forum.

You asked, we answered, so please move on.

If you think you have a motor neuron issue, see your Primary Care Provider and get a referral to a motor neuron qualified neuro, note: most are NOT ALS/MND (Motor Neuron Disease) experienced!

Anxiety can be a real problem that can endanger your physical health. Make sure you tell your medical practioner what you are feeling as well as how you are feeling.

No need to reply. Goodbye and best regards.

-----
Max
-----
onset 9/2010, diagnosed with ALS by Stanley Appel 8/29/2013
It Is What It Is ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back