Terrified I have ALS (Weakness, Neurological symptoms).

Status
Not open for further replies.

caanyon19

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
FL
City
Daytona Beach
Hello I am currently a 19 year old male. Ever since September of last year I've been expirencing very strange neurological symptoms. The first one I expiernced and am still experiencing is urinary incontinence. Whenever I get up, walk, move around I leak small amounts of urine out. I've been tested for every STD in the book and have had a physical exam and still to this day no answer for that.

Starting about two months ago I began to feel like I've been very confused and out of it. Sometimes I have trouble thinking of the words I want to say, things are taking longer to come to me, and I find it extremely hard to concentrate at times. I was ended up in the hospital to get this checked out and they ran every test in the book including Head CT, MRI, Spine MRI, Vitamins, Thyroid, CPK, Spinal tap, EEG, ETC. Everything came back completely clean.

In the last month I've been noticing that my lower right leg, and right foot and ankle get extremely tired when walking (especially going up stairs) and very tired when I try to raise my foot. I can physically raise my foot, can physically stand on my toes, can physically stand on my heels, but it's everything I can do to do those things. After doing those things or just walking around in general my lower leg and foot feel extremely tired and weak. I also noticed some stiffness and cramping in my right middle and ring finger. These new symptoms of the hand and leg made me extremely worried that I could have ALS.

I went to a Neuro and he did a EMG of the leg and hand that I was complaining about. The hand came back as a mild case of Carpel Tunnel Syndrome (Mild right sensory median entrapment neuropathy at the wrist), and the right leg he did the EMG on surprisingly came back clean. However, my leg is still extremely weak and only seems to be getting worse, and the hand has stayed about the same. I am still really worried about ALS as I only had the one hand and the one leg done on the EMG and I've read about cases of Carpel Tunnel being misdiagnosed as ALS. My lower leg and foot still feels weak and tired without any explanation.

Lately I began to notice or what I think I noticed as a lump sensation in my throat. I can physically swallow but there is often a lump sensation in my throat and I am constantly trying to clear it, I also have had a few cases of almost GERD like symptoms where food has wanted to come back up. I've also read that these could be a symtom of something like Bullbar onset. I have a swallow study booked and a full EMG study of all my limbs booked coming up. All of this has me absolutely terrified and I really just wanted some honest insight from this community as to what you guys think this could be.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am sorry, I got through a few lines, but your text is a lump with no paragraph spacing and I just couldn't wade through it.
I don't think you must have read the sticky first.
Nothing even sounds a bit like ALS when I see words dotted through the lump of text.
Please work with doctors, not strangers. I hope they find what is going on soon for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back