Diagnosis
07/1998
Country
US
State
California
City
Benicia
Receiving a terminal diagnosis is like being shoved out of a plane. You are going along relatively smoothly. In fact you have almost forgotten that you are high in the air. Then, out of nowhere, some cosmic force rudely pushes you out the door. When you quickly realize you are free-falling without a parachute you are stricken with terror. This however, can be a pleasant, even exhilarating sensation if you see that there is no ground.

The opposite of death is not life. The opposite of death is birth. Life has no opposite. Life is eternal. :-D

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Stupendous!

Mike, we just read this. It far surpasses anything we could have thought of... and is so profound.... we just want to write it down and share it with everyone we know.... and with others who are suffering. Words cannot express how much your messages mean to us. Bless you. Marjorie

I agree Mike what you said really hit home. I'm going to share this with my husband as he so depressed that I'm going to die.

Vicki:-D

I can say I envy if you are religious and believe in anything higher..I have problems with coping "natural" death by age, but I understand thats why people invent gods.. Its so scary for me :(

Blizna,

One of the fundamental characteristics of every object in our universe is change. From the individual cells in our bodies, to the stars that produce and sustain life, everything is in perpetual flux and will eventually shed its physical form. If we understand and accept this feature of reality, we will be happier and more content with our lives. If we deny this, or try to cling to the way things “should be”, we will suffer needlessly. This is especially true when confronting a progressive disease like ALS.

Let go of the past and future, and live in the present moment. It is all we really have. The past and future only exist in our minds. The moment we recognize this, we can begin to live life more fully. :-D

Mike

Hi Mike

Do you believe in an afterlife of sorts? Maybe along the buddhist model? I like to think there is. :)

Steve

:Hi Steve,

My spiritual beliefs tend to be based on personal experience and scientific observation. Having never experienced death (that I recall :-D), I don't know what will happen, but I remain open minded. I don't fear death because it is a natural passage through which we must all navigate.

Mike

Mike you are so inspiring. You are amazing and awakening. Thank you.

Awesome!

Mike- You are Awesome!

Steve- I think anything is possible.

Vicki- Tell Michael, You don't know when you are going to die. Keep his Spirit up. It is not going to help you with the constant reminder. Tim and I have already discussed the Death issue and had the Medical Power of Attorney done. And Living Will. I told him after we had that done. We now will concentrate on "Living" now that, that part is taken care of and behind us. Live, Live, Live!

I agree with Mike, Live in the Moment. I recently read: "Today is really our last day on earth, because we haven't live tomorrrow yet".

Lorie:smile:

I'm open minded too, we won't know until we get there. The way I see it is, there either is or is not life after death, its 50/50 whether it is or not, so why not go with with what feels right? :)

Terminal Diagnosis

I was diagnosed in June of 2006. I was told by a neuro who burst into the room, "Well, you have ALS". Truthfully I almost fainted. My first reaction was anger. I was angry with the neuros, my profession, damn near everything. My wife and I cried ourselves to sleep that night. We have 5 kids, 9 grandkids. I have everything to live for, I don't want to die.
I can't say I've come completely to acceptance, but I'm close. Truth is, we all have to play the cards we're delt. The rules are the rules.
I take Rilutek and vitimins. Tried Lithium, quit it because it affected my appetite.
I too use a bipap machine. I say no to vent, because by the time it's needed, it won't help me. A pulmanologyst told me I've lost 50% of my lung function.
In closing, let me say that there is always hope. I believe in God and believe that there is something better waiting.

Pop, welcome to our board. Lots of caring folks here. May God bless you. My friend, I am a Cals that been there, and done that, and I am still in pain. The pain never goes away. My son would have been 40 this June 18th. Instead of me giving him a birthday party, I will be visiting his grave. This is such a sad experience. May he rest in peace.

Irma

Terminal Illness

Thanks Irma. Please call me Frank.

Oh, hi Frank! You must be young! LOL How's Florida? Man, it's been warm here in South Texas! It's breezy, but hot! I have to water my lawn and plants every day, because the wind feels like "fire!" Take care!

Irma

Profound

Mike

To date your analogy has been the most profound I have come across. What an amazing way to think of things. I have read many similar observations but none were quite as articulate as this.

Thank you for making your thoughts available to those of us less able to form the words even though we might think the same things.

God Bless

Erin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back