Tentative ALS diagnosis given

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi thank you for checking back. My emg was normal. After exam he decided to run several labs and a swallow study in a few days. A few of the labs are back. All have been negative except the ANA. He said we’ll talk after the swallow study is done and labs should all be back by then.

Also said ALS, myopathy, myasthenia gravis are on the table

Well on the table with other things is better than what that ent said. A negative emg is encouraging. Did he confirm your leg weakness and was the emg limb only or did it include bulbar?

if he said maybe mg he presumably did blood for that. Even if it is negative I believe there is a 5% chance of seronegative mg.

Wash U does some tests inhouse that are usually send aways so maybe you get results faster. Mass general sent my nfl there and also a panel looking for neuropathies

were you happy with his care? It sounds like he is being thorough

Dr Smiths notes finally showed in My chart and he said he did not think it was ALS! There are still a couple of outstanding tests but I feel a big relief. I think I’m going to be one of the lucky ones and feel blessed.
A couple of antibody tests have come back positive so I’ll wait till after I have the swallow study next week and hopefully get some kind of answer from him. I’ll let you know what the result is.
Just FYI- I purchased an upgrade last week but maybe I didn’t understand it as I wasn’t allowed to post again until today.

Oddly I don’t see your upgrade. I think you mean you became as forum supporter and it should say that and yes you should have been able to post sooner. If you did do that contact the admin and check! ( mods have no ability to fix that kind of thing)

fabulous news that he thinks it is something else

antibodies? Which ? Are they the mg ones? Or the neuromuscular ones? I am really happy for you!

ENA antibody was positive and anti-ena SS-B was high. I don’t think I have Sjogrens symptoms so I’m not sure about the significance of that.

If you mean positive ANA and anti-SSB antibodies, that combination is common in SLE (lupus), of which swallowing problems can be a feature. But you will know more soon.

Happy that it's not ALS --

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back