Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with the above posters.

Just before my mother passed away of renal and heart failure in October, my 6 year old started noticing something was not the same about his grandpa. He asked me what was wrong with his arms. I immediately handled it because I didn't want to lie to him. Kids are pretty intuitive! I handled it much like I did with my mom's illness. With her, I said that grandma's heart was very sick and it wasn't going to get better etc... When he asked about his grandpa, I said, and I paraphrase...

You know how I told you that your Grandma Wall's heart was very sick and the doctors cant make it better? Well, your grandpa has a sickness with his brain and it makes his muscles sick and weak. I told him that right now his arms and effected, but for him to not be afraid if his legs get sick too and he has trouble walking. He wanted to know if he was going to be in a Hoveround like his grandma. I told him he might.

Both my 6 year old and 4 year old had lots of questions and of course he asked if he was going to die. This question has been more frequent since my mom died October 23, 2011. I tell him that one day he will, but we don't know when and not to think about that right now. He's very sensitive to the matter and if you talk about it or read about it and he sees you, he gets paranoid.

You do the best you can!

Tell them the truth and answer questions, but don't dwell on it. Now's the time to have fun with them. Laugh, be goofy, give advice even if they think it's lame. Let them get to know you as a person as well as a parent. Take an interest in the things they like. Ask them to share their favorite tv shows, movies, books, music, friends, etc. Even if you don't enjoy the genre or the friends, spending time learning about your children is fascinating and fun for all of you. Sit back, relax and really listen, you might even learn something from them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back