09/2017
Country
HR
State
Croatia
City
ZAGREB
comments?

Interesting. I'm glad researchers are looking at different things.

if it is metabolism of metals, it means that there is EPIgenetics crucial things, or something gained decades ago... here are details of article: Error - Cookies Turned Off

This is interesting I was reading commentary by an ALS researcher who said this inborn error of metabolism correlates with ALS but cautioned of course correlation is not causation.

still, a couple of patients noted a few years ago that free copper is high in many PALS. They got a number of PALS and controls to test. IIRC all PALS had high free copper but only one control. They treated with zinc and some felt it benefited them. My free copper was high but zinc treatment didn’t help. My free copper went up and I also became zinc toxic. Both copper and zinc were noted as issues in this study.

it would be interesting to see a larger study to know if this is seen in most PALS. This had a diverse group of SALS and FALS and they looked at the FALS mice too but still the number of PALS was fairly small

o, that points to a different origin. als may looks exactly the same at each pals, and there might be (as you mentioned) correlation, but completelly different causation. many genes seem to be involved, but not all. permutations, variations & combinations genes involved command progression, type of onset etc... what doesnt make sense is that all assays are done with mice_als_induced_same_way. how to check free copper? is it same like with testosterone (total vs albumin fastened/free)?

Well all the mice were FALS of course.

free copper is a blood test. In the US it is fairly expensive and is one of those not done on every lab. Mine got drawn at MassGeneral ( whoch is a large teaching hospital) but was done at Mayo. You can calculate it if you know your serum copper and ceruloplasmin. There are online calculators. If you do that make sure you convert your values into the correct units

My free copper was high. I don't remember the exact number. I started taking 25 mg. of Gluzin, the type of zinc they use for Wilson's and my free copper is now in the normal range. My total copper and zinc both stayed in the normal range.

You can calculate your free copper level by getting a blood draw for serum copper and ceruloplasmin. Serum Copper - (ceruloplasmin x 3) = free copper level.

There is a lengthy discussion over at ALSTDI on copper and zinc.

Jethro, the only thing I know for sure is PALS respond/reject different supplements. For the longest time I couldn't take Milk Thistle because it gave me an upset stomach. Now I can tolerate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back