Diagnosis
02/2015
Country
US
State
CA
City
Torrance
If anyone is interested, I wrote a fairly lengthy description of how I have implemented technology to keep me mentally engaged and comfortable. It's not for everyone, but it might help to improve someone's access or give some ideas. It's a PDF. I'm not sure of the best way to share it, but I would be happy to email it if anyone can figure out how to private message me . Jim

I'm interested in this, Jimi -- I know from reading some of your posts that you are technically savvy.

Can someone tell me how to send a private/direct message. Alternatively, could Jimi just attach the pdf to a post?

I did look when I posted but couldn't find how to attach. I'm also not sure how to pm. I'll try looking around again

If you scroll to the blank box at the bottom of this thread, you should see a paperclip and Attach Files button just above the grey social media icons, where you can post and attach a pdf.

Nice write up...

Thanks so much! This is so helpful (not that I understand all of it, but am lucky to have people in my life that do!) Really appreciate you putting it together.

Jimi, Thanks so much for this! I am just beginning to set up some voice automated devices at home and your writeup/pictures will be so helpful. It was also nice to learn more about your background and your family.

I'm happy to know that someone has found it useful. Heck, if you have the patience to read thru it, then you have what's required to make your own cool setup. I just wanted to share some details because to some people who see what I have set up, it looks so complicated. It's really not once you break it down. If you have the patience to read boring manuals and spend time thinking about and looking for things to work, it is not bad. It's amazing what you can find on eBay and Amazon.
I met someone who was caring for a spouse with ALS. Their condition was not as bad as mine in terms of breathing. I showed them my set up and tried to work with the husband to get more control over their environment. Long story short, things were too late and they passed. Of course everyone handles adversity differently, but I can’t help wondering if things could have gone differently had there been more mental stimulation and comfort made available sooner before depression and pain set in. Even if they were still going to leave this world at the same time, perhaps their journey could have been more enjoyable at the end.

My challenge is whether to go with Apple or PC. I currently have a newer iPad, iPhone and iMac. I also have a PC and a PC laptop, both running Windows 10. I needed both platforms for teaching. I have three Amazon dots, a nest thermostat and a ring doorbell.

Our condo has a contract with AT&T that gives us a bundle that includes ATT Uverse (on three DVRs), high-speed Internet, and some premium channels all for $59 which is over $100 savings. The issue is that everything except the main set is wireless so I had to get an extender for my Wifi in the office and probably need another in my master bedroom.

My housemate lost his iPhone and now has an Android. I don't like it that Google took it over and prefer my Apple products so I'm trying to set all my technology to work with my iPads. I plan on trading both (they are Pros) for a new model in 2020 which promises to have better technology for eye gaze, faster response time and a much better camera.

Thanks for your handout. I've seen a Tobii demonstration and also have a PALS friend with a Tobii. Not impressed nor is he.

KimT,
As long as you can figure out how to control your iPad and iPhone hands free, most home automation products make apps for either ios or android. The sonoff switches control I made for my recliner work thru the eWelink app that is available for iOS . Kasa plugs and bulbs, Roku, and Broadlink RM Mini3 (programmable ir remote) are all available for iOS. I use Googles wifi mesh system which has been very reliable. There are many similar mesh wifi router brands available that will work better than the old wifi extenders

KimT,
I have played with the Tobii eyegaze on my PC too. I'm not impressed either. Thank goodness my neck/head still moves OK. I can really use the eViacam head mouse effectively. Using the webcam makes it very forgiving as to where you are positioned. Eyegaze is much more finicky and I will be using the eViacam as long as I can. Not to mention, eViacam is free !!

Jim,
Hello my name is Steve, latching on to my wife's account. You and I are about the same in ALS status but I am aged (65) a bit more like a gourmet cheese that I can't eat (peg feeding only) and I can talk but I'm the only who understands (AKA non-verbal)! I was a civil engineer in both meanings. I have great respect for average machinist, your lair is very impressive.
I also believe "Idle hands are the devil's workshop." and "Necessity is the mother of invention.". So, I keep active trying to design/develop equipment to improve quality of life and reduce the burden of caregivers. I deal with manufacturers and designers to advocate for better systems to improve our quality of life and reduce the burden of caregivers.
I recommend you try to give more time to Tobii Dynavox, it is not perfect but it seems to be the best available. I have a Tobii Dynavox I -15 ⁺ that has prepackaged IR remote control setups for your environment. Regrettably, the technical support and being an advocate for their remote controls is not strong. The recliner control there seems to be a concern of reclining out of eye gaze control.
The control of my Golden Technologies recliner I tried a different (unsuccessful) path for adjustment/control. I had my dealer contact Golden Technologies (their website for contact is poor) for providing their controls to work with Tobii Dynavox remote control systems. They responded that they have no plans for this need.
I'm going to forward your pdf to them to be the grease to the squeaky wheel. They need to see the extraordinary efforts we take for a little added comfort.
Keep up the good work of thinking of the mother of invention to battle the idle hands.
Thanks for sharing.

Hi Steve,
Thanks for the nice input. I actually got in touch with Golden Technologies regarding the chair within the last month. They replied that they had been contacted by Limited Mobility Solutions - Voice Solutions for Limited Mobility. (not sure if this link is acceptable, but it's not a solicitation, Google limited mobility solutions) regarding a similar thing. I contacted the guys there and shared my write up. They may post it on their site. They are nice guys that are helping people and not for profit. They went about things a bit differently as they are more skilled in software than me. The end result was similar. I understand that the Tobii eyegaze can be good, and when I need to, I plan on getting good with it. Right now I prefer the versatility of the head mouse. I can control my extra computer/home theater pc from across the room with the webcam zoomed. I think when eyegaze becomes necessary, I will mount it right to my recliner backrest so I can maintain proper eyegaze position and still retain the ability to move the chair myself. Thanks again for the comments and encouraging words. Let me know if I can ever be of assistance.

Steve,
If you can mount the eyegaze to the backrest it will move with you. The Sonoff switches can be set to turn on and back off for a predetermined amount of time (inching mode). I have my moves set to 1 second. So there is no problem with the chair going to far. I have also seen 8 channel relay boards controlled via IR for sale. If there is a learning function on the Tobii IR then the only other thing to find is if any of these relay boards have inching mode. I never spent time looking, because the Sonoff boards had everything I needed - inching, rf, smartphone app and voice. I also recently saw a company called Hawkeye was leveraging the IR camera found in the face ID systems of the newer iPhone and iPad for eyegaze. Don't know if it's any good, but would be great to have a lightweight and unobtrusive iPhone mounted to the chair following you around to give you control over home automation. Sorry for rambling, but I am always looking for options😀

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back