Technology to help

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a big focus on speech and voice control. Everything new with remote control is "voice command" (to point of frustration). The phase "people without a voice" has new meaning. When I was still verbal, I had a Tobii from my local ALS Association loan closet to get over the eye gaze learning curve for speech, not environmental control.
I am now in a different world relying on a Tobii for communication. The talking world moves faster, conversions advance and replies become out of context. I now try to anticipate and write stuff in advance. When I was verbal, I was funny with a quick wit now with the tobii I am a 1/2 wit.
The point I am trying to make (ranting about) is eye gaze is more than remote control and voice command it not the "great solution". Sorry for the piss and moan just trying to be a voice for people without a voice.

About eye gaze and backrest.
One bugaboo about eye gaze is when my "head falls off" to the left or right while sleeping, your eyes needs to stay level with tobii. I have a idea of a PVC double U- frame head holder to go over the chair backrest to support the sides and keep my head on straight.

Jim,
BTW - I have asked the ALS Forum folks how to contact you for a private discussion (get your email address). I like to spitball some ideas with you (not for the forum world).

Jim,
BTW - I have asked the ALS Forum folks how to contact you for a private discussion (get your email address). I like to spitball some ideas with you (not for the forum world).
Steve,
Happy to chat thru personal email. I don't know how to do private messages, but one of the moderators facilitated this for me before. I feel for you regarding not being able to speak, as I am approaching that point myself. I have geared all my solutions with not being able to speak in mind. Also if necessary, pre written voice commands can be saved and quickly recalled for use. I prefer to directly control things thru the computer/app. My recliner has a power headrest and I have been considering making a v shaped one for head stability. Headrest comes off easily with 4 bolts. Or perhaps fasten a padded support to either side of the headrest with velcro, hand stitches, fabric adhesive, staples or...??

Steve and Jimi, I can message both of you so you can exchange emails.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back