Diagnosis
03/2003
Country
Hon
State
Hong Kong
City
Hong Kong
Has any one heard of Tamoxifen which works to rescue the motor dysfunction of the TDP-43 mice? Apperently Rapamycin could also work, but Tamoxifen has less side effect.

Thanks

Dear hkmke, click the tag below for other posts. Sorry I don't have any other specific information about the mice or Rapamycin.

hkmke,

I have an online PALS friend who attended clinic at Forbes Norris. When he was first diagnosed (about 8 years ago), that clinic automatically gave all the PALS Tamoxifen. Apparently there were some women who had had breast cancer that were taking it, then they were also diagnosed with ALS, and they all had slower progression. The only common factor amongst them was the Tamoxifen, so that's what everyone was taking. I never heard anything more about it. But just food for thought.

I took tamoxifen from January 2001 to May 2003 with no discernible slowing of progression. I haven't seen it touted as a benefit for ALS since then. Interesting that it is being resurrected on the research front. For that matter I haven't seen creatine recommended either for about the same length of time. I wonder why someone is resurrecting these old ideas.

I used to get some funny looks from my pharmacist when I had my rx filled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back