Diagnosis
10/2014
Country
CA
State
Quebec
City
Tiny town w/no stoplight!
Ron has been experiencing something new in the last couple of weeks. If someone either comes over to 'chat' or calls and Ron talks with them for any period of time, he gets 'all choked up', starts gasping for air, and has to take very labored breaths to catch up. Normally his breathing is fine - it seems to happen also when there are certain smells in the air or when someone hugs him for longer than a second or two.

Ron has limb onset (started with left leg in June) and now this. :cry:

Does this talking/choking problem happen to you too? and when did it start? Do you have limb onset or bulbar?

Thanks everyone - happy Friday xoxo

My husband has this problem but he is bulbar/respiratory onset. He says he runs out of breath trying to talk and that is what leads to the coughing. For my husband, it is due to his weak breathing muscles.

My husband has this problem but he is bulbar/respiratory onset. He says he runs out of breath trying to talk and that is what leads to the coughing. For my husband, it is due to his weak breathing muscles.

Does he have trouble breathing at other times, like sleeping or just sitting? Is he on a bipap or ?

So then I should be worried that Ron's limb onset has spread, obviously? :cry:

Unfortunately, each passing day seems to bring new challenges- just when you think you're on top of it, wham!
Talking can be tiring for PALS in and of itself. Hugs. Donna

Unfortunately, each passing day seems to bring new challenges- just when you think you're on top of it, wham!
Talking can be tiring for PALS in and of itself. Hugs. Donna

...new challenges...too true Donna :( Hugs right back atcha xoxo

My onset (bulbar/limb/etc) hasn't been determined yet but yes, I also experience that "loss of breath" when trying to hold a conversation. The length of time to "failure" varies, but it forces me to stop, take a few somewhat forceful breaths to catch up, and then I can finish what I was saying.

My onset (bulbar/limb/etc) hasn't been determined yet but yes, I also experience that "loss of breath" when trying to hold a conversation. The length of time to "failure" varies, but it forces me to stop, take a few somewhat forceful breaths to catch up, and then I can finish what I was saying.

Yes, that's exactly what happens with Ron... :(

>Does this talking/choking problem happen to you too? and when did it start? Do you have limb onset or bulbar?

yes definitely, sttarted in Nov w/ last lung infection, I have both bulbar and limb onset :-(

Yes, when I talk, I run out of breath-my voice fades out. I have to stop and wait to catch my breath to restart. My voice has also become low and raspy-I think because of mucus in my throat.

yes, when i talk, i run out of breath-my voice fades out. I have to stop and wait to catch my breath to restart. My voice has also become low and raspy-i think because of mucus in my throat.

......ditto that.....

I, too, have been "running out of air" if I talk too much. Actually, its really not talking too much - just carrying on a conversation. I really noticed it around Thanksgiving when my daughter & husband came to visit & my voice was getting raspy sounding & sometimes I was having some trouble forming words - I think my tongue got tired. I started using my Boogie Board some while they were here, just to rest my voice. I was diagnosed with limb onset (left arm then left leg) but also have been using a bipap since then. I use it at night, but sometimes just "slapping on some air" for an hour during the day really helps me --- gives those breathing muscles a little rest. I move the bipap to my computer or to the living room for tv, etc.
Dianne

Hey Dianne, I'm sure that on his next visit to the Montreal Neurological Center they will suggest a bipap machine. That'll be on the 12th. His last (actually his initial) visit was Nov. 10th and he has changed so very much since then 😔

I get very breathless when I talk too long, had visitors today and now I am exhausted. I have a Bi-Pap trial on 6 February and it cannot come soon enough

Hi Heather,
This coming up May is will be dad's year since being diagnosed with limb onset ALS. You know what is weird in his particular situation? His breathing and talking was actually worse in his first six months of diagnosis then it is now? He used a bi-pap for awhile at night at first and it helped it out alot and he got much better sleep. But, he hasn't used one for I would say for at least a year. Dad has a tendency to be claustrophobic but he was able to handle the bi-pap extremely well. I'm not a expert on it but from what I understand there are different masks that you can get. What works comfortably for one person might not work for another.
My dad's voice does get on the raspy side if he is overly tired. I call him twice a day instead of talking to him really long all at once. Dad still can eat pretty well but has to pay attention that he eats slowly and takes very small bites. He can't be distracted by conversation while he is eating or he might choke. I believe also that they teach people to kind of tuck their chin in to keep from swallowing. I know a speech therapist gave him some tips early on.
I would check into at least trying the bi-pap. My dad didn't complain about using it one bit. He said he will gladly use his again when it becomes necessary. Kim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back