Diagnosis
04/2019
Country
US
State
IA
City
Lansing
I just told my 84 yr old father I have PBP with ALS, as I understand it. my dad has been very aware of my changing health but we had been told repeatedly by doctors that this wasn't ALS so the diagnosis was quite a shock.
I am very worried about my dad now, he has been so strong and gone through so much. My mother also had ALS and died 12 yrs ago. What if anything can I do to give my father comfort?

You seem to be selling your father short. At 84 and having gone down this road before, I'm guessing he has an incredible inner strength and the coping skills to deal with this. If there is an elephant in the room, introduce the elephant. This is not a time for anything other than honesty. If you don't make things up, you won't have to remember who knows what. The wisdom of years and experiences could be a great comfort to you.
Vincent

PBP and ALS are two different things. So I would await diagnostic confirmation before getting deeper into this with him. But as Vincent says, you can only be honest and in all likelihood he has the resources to deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back