Diagnosis
11/2015
Country
US
State
CA
City
San Diego
We are in the process of looking at assistive communication technology. Our speech pathologist has a contact with Talk to Me Technologies that she wanted us to talk with. Has anyone used them for communication? I haven't heard of them so don't really have an opinion.

Thanks

V

I did a Google search of their address, it appears to be a commercial building in a
commercial park. *Unlike one a while back that was out of somebody's house.

Looks legit. Hope fully others may chime in familiar with them.

Not familiar, but their web site makes clear their heritage. There are two things to consider: the vendor and the device. So the vendor doesn't raise any red flags, but you want to make sure the device they suggest would work for him now/later, is affordable, etc. Vendors have different contracts/relationships and may be incentivized/constrained to recommend certain lines.

Just as a reminder, the major ways to communicate once voice and arms are gone are switch-operated devices, like a smart phone (switches can be activated by any reliable muscle, such as a toe, cheek, etc.), a USB head/chin/tongue mouse with a computer, using built in head mouse capability of a smartphone/tablet, and eye gaze, which is moving away from "dedicated devices" that are cumbersome and to the Surface or MacBook.

Also, any big ticket item should have some way to try before you buy. Every state has an AT loaner closet, as may your ALSA, MDA, or clinic, or the manufacturer may have a trial program.

Hello,
I really appreciate your information. Could you elaborate on what you wrote here: "a USB head/chin/tongue mouse with a computer, using built in head mouse capability of a smartphone/tablet"

I'm not sure what you mean by a USB head with a computer (using head/chin/tongue to operate it) Do you mean to use a pen drive/flash drive ? And what is "head mouse capability"? Where could I find these kinds of devices?

Is eye-gaze technology something available for many PALS? I appreciate your writing to check with the local ALSA, maybe that answers the question.

Thank-you for your post!

There are head mice like the SmartNav -- basically you wear a tracking dot on a hat.

The iPhone/iPad has built in head-tracking once you enable it.

There are chin/tongue mice like the TetraMouse, which my husband used, where it's a mouse that you plug in via USB like other mice, but it operates using your chin, tongue or lips. There are also mouth mice that are tube-shaped. There are several alternate mice that are way overpriced, so shop around.

There are also switch-controlled interfaces like the Tecla that can drive your wheelchair as well as communicate using any muscle that you can activate reliably. A bit off topic, but if driving is the goal, there are many alternative drive control systems these days (that's the term to google, along with your wheelchair model). Some people press their head against a certain spot, use their chin, etc.

I consider eye gaze the last resort if/when you can't use anything else. Yes, it's available with tablets such as the Surface and systems for iOS devices are in test. There is also a system for MacBooks. The big screen, bulky devices of yesteryear, that cost thousands and can be fiddly to calibrate/adapt to progression, would be the last resort in that category, for me.

Last edited:
Thank-you for the advice!

They are a legitimate company with a great product. I am currently using their Zuvo 12 device. They use Grid 3 software and the device is a Microsoft Surface. The VA issues them , so that should tell you that they are reputable. I can answer specific questions if you have any.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back