Taking ativan says he feels worse?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cindy, this is one thing I cannot understand! I always thought that Hospice people always had DNR documents with them, whenever they feel that a person is near departure. Whenever my son departed, before it took place, he asked her for such documents, and she handed him one. He glanced at it, and then he motioned for me to sign it, and I did. I only hope that she gets a hold of one, she has been through so much already, bless her heart!

Irma

Oh my goodness turns out that i allready have the dnr order with homecare.Our homecare nurse just left but before she did i told her of my concerns and trying to get the order as quickly as possible and she said "oh gina dont worry we allready have that"I was so relieved ...like i said in an earlier post that last year has been so stressfull that i had totally forgotten and she showed me in the book where it was!Maybe a little bit of denial involved as well on my part..lol...I want to thank all of you wonderfull people for your prayers and support.Irma you are such a kind and compassionate woman and angleman thank you so much i only hope i am as strong as you seem to think it dosnt always feel that way to me!Cindy you too have helped me stay strong....God Bless you all for being who you are....thankyou again....Gina

Gina, I am so happy you have the dnr. I really can't say, don't worry when the time gets here. Of course you have to worry, and hurt some. I hate to use these words, but what else is there to say? Am I supposed to gurantee you that you are going to be okay? I'd be lying. It is the natural thing to do, to hurt and cry. Let me tell you Gina, it is good to cry. It relieves you. The thing is, just think of the peace that your husbandis going to encounter. When I witnessed my son taking his last breath, I felt my heart breaking in a million pieces. Of course I cried. I cried with him, held him, kissed him, prayed with him. As I hovered over him, I felt like I was lifted, and experienced a feeling of comfoert. A feeling of letting go, and allowing our Father to take over. I thought to myself, "You are in good hands. It is time to say our good byes." Right then I knew he was gone forever, and to let it take place in peace. Be strong, turn to your Father. He will be there to comfort you. I hope I can be of a little help. Keep us posted, and let's say if it's time for your husband to depart I hope he goes peacefully1 May God bless you, and your husband. Gina, take care of yourself!

Irma

Ativan

My Husband's Breathing Level Is Now 51, And Our Dr. Would Not Prescribe Either Morphine Or Ativan Altho He Is Suffering High Anxiety, And Uses His Bi-pap More And More Now. The Reason Is That It Does Interfere With The Ability To Breathe Well, So He Prescribed Buspar, 3xs A Day. It Has Not Had Time To Kick In Yet, But Please Everyone Be Very Careful With Morphine And Ativan Unless The Patient Is 'just Being Kept Comfortable At The End.'

Jackiemax

Thanks, Jackiemax, for the advice. My husband is close to the end of his journey and so the morphine and Ativan keep him comfortable. I can see that otherwise they would not be appropriate. This isn't an easy road is it? But we have had eighteen months in which our lives have been enriched in many ways. Just by knowing our time together is limited.

we have had eighteen months in which our lives have been enriched in many ways. Just by knowing our time together is limited.

It is good to be reminded of this, Landscape. I have a bad feeling about these next few weeks. Partly because PALS sometimes give themselves permission to go after the Holdiays are over and partly because the long winter stretches ahead and that is daunting to very frail PALS. All of our forum families are in my thoughts tonight...Cindy

landscape....my husband is now taking his ativin at regular intervals and even though it makes him tired he seems so much more comfortable.As cindy says that a lot of people with als do try to make it through the hollidays and then give themselves permission to go. Jackiemax i can appreciate your concerns for people whom may not know when it is time to turn to the more potent drugs such as morphine and ativin.....at this time however my husband is suffering and trust me when i say it is a hard decision to make but a necessary one as well because those of us such as landscape and i just want to keep our loved ones comfortable when we know the end is near.Irma i personally hope that you will be on this forum for a long time you are so much help to me and i look forward to your input and guidance......gnight all and Again you are all in my thoughts and prayers.....GINA

Hi Gina. I truly am feeling for you and your husband this very moment. May God give you the courage to be by your husband till the end. I know He will give you all the courage you need. Is it just you and your husband? Do you'll have any children at home?

Gina, I will remain on this forum for as long as they allow me to. LOL! I will be here for you. If there are times when we need to discuss something in private, we can PM each other. I don't mind at all sharing what I have experienced from my son's passing. He taught me so much. He will always be my "rock." May God bless you both. will keep you guys in my prayers.

Irma

Irma thank you so much you willl never know how much you have comforted me when i needed it.Yes i have three grown children none of which live at home but are very close and do help me a lot.I sent an sos email to my husbands familly for help.A lot of them have thier own problems but most have responded with eagerness to help.I guess i am a typical mother in that i want to protect my own kids from hurting but i realize now that i cannot and my heart just breaks for them.His mother whom is now 82 comes almost daily and we have grown closer but it breaks her heart to see her son suffer so....as im sure it was with you....i just wish i could protect her from that as well.!They did not have a good relationship and now she is so wanting to help in every way and i am so gratefull that they finally can have this time to build on thier relationship!They both need it! Thank you again you are such an important part of this forum and yes i will need your help and may p.m you when i need to talk about things that are hard to talk about on the forum........God Bless and hugs 4 u tonight!

Hi Gina! Just got on the forum. I was following up on other things on the net, and baking cookies,too. I burnt my first batch! LOL! I forgot I had them in the oven. It's okay, I threw the 1st batch away, and still wound up with a bunch! Then I got hungry fir fried cucumbers. I don't know why. I just wanted them! Isn't that crazy!

Yes Gina, anytime you want to ask me no matter what, go right ahead, and I will try to answer your questions. There is so much to this disease. I am glad that your family are there to help you. I pray to God your husband's mom will be strong enough to withstand all of this. May God bless your entire family.

Irma

Ok Irma I have never heard of fried cucumbers. Now that sounds crazy. How do you cook them. We just eat them cold in salads.
AL.

Hi, Al! Mmmmmh! Fried cucumbers! Okay, have you ever fried zuchinni (sp?)? If you have fried zuchinni, use the same recipe that you would for zuch! They come out perfect. I use the canned milk, 1 egg. Then you roll the cukes in flour, salt and pepper. Don't forget to peel, and slice the cukes!LOL! Naw, I am just being silly! It is good eating!

Irma

That does sound good, Irma. Glad Al asked the question - I'd never heard of it either but now am tempted to try! Gina is lucky to have found a friend in you! Cindy

Fried green tomatoes

My sister also held in till January 21, she did not want to leave us at xmas, her son was 12. This disease is cruel and relentless. Norma

Fried Pickles!

Irma, that does sound good! the funniest thing is that one of workers just yesterday was telling us about fried PICKLES! same recipe as Irma's but she uses all kinds of dill or sweet pickle wedges!

I honestly think the cucumbers sounds alot more appetizing! :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back