Taking A Supplement Will Keep All Posted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beth- this is the second time I read about your Hubby's neurological problems. This might be a long shot and I am sure your doctors (or his) already thought of it, but with two of you having neurological troubles I wonder if they ever thought of some sort of toxin in your home or environment? You didn't recently move, or have work doen in your home, did you? Or did you both work in the same place for years? Just wondering...

[QUOTE=CindyM;50912]Beth- this is the second time I read about your Hubby's neurological problems. This might be a long shot and I am sure your doctors (or his) already thought of it, but with two of you having neurological troubles I wonder if they ever thought of some sort of toxin in your home or environment? You didn't recently move, or have work doen in your home, did you? Or did you both work in the same place for years? Just wondering...[/QUOTE]

Interesting! No one has suggested that, and I never thought of it. We've lived in this house for 33 years ... but I am aware that many parts of L.A. have radon in the soil, and I believe that is a very toxic substance. It might be worth it to get the soil tested ... Hmmmm ... gotta get on Google!

Thanks, Cindy!
BethU

Beth ,My attention span is not that long to read all that LOL LOL ,but i'll promise i'll go back and try . LOL Geo

I do run on, don't I? :)

Hi Beth- I say this because early on in my own research I was looking for reasons for my symptoms and remember reading about someone who had new rugs put down and had a terrible ALS-like reaction to the glue the installer used. I wish I could remember what site I read this on.

The last time I asked this question of two family members with neurological symptoms, the guy said both he and his brother worked in the same factory for years, with all sorts of chemicals.

Hi Beth- I say this because early on in my own research I was looking for reasons for my symptoms and remember reading about someone who had new rugs put down and had a terrible ALS-like reaction to the glue the installer used. I wish I could remember what site I read this on.

The last time I asked this question of two family members with neurological symptoms, the guy said both he and his brother worked in the same factory for years, with all sorts of chemicals.

Cindy, that's so interesting. Thanks! I had never thought of any of that. Paul and I have both been around a lot of chemicals, including sharing a darkroom for 15-20 years and an art studio for 40 years, and we both used lead-based paint before it was outlawed. Darkroom chemicals are especially wicked stuff.

I also had a BIG exposure to mercury as a kid, altho I don't think Paul ever did. My dad was a dentist and would take me to the office with him on weekends while he did lab work. He used to give me drops of mercury in my hands to play with to keep me occupied ... it's crazy stuff to handle, fun for a kid ... and I'd play with it for hours. I'm sure I never even washed my hands afterwards. But that was many moons ago!

At least, I got Paul an appointment with the pain guy for next week, and he sounds REALLY good. Also got a referral for Paul to the same neuro who told me my first EMG was clean, and diagnosed me with Progressive Supranuclear Palsy. I guess it will be some kind of grim satisfaction to go in and say, "Hi, boy were you wrong!"

(And we got new carpets the year before my symptoms started!) Much to think about.
BethU

Beth,

Following along Cindy's thoughts ... if it were environment there should be a higher incidence of neurological problems in your neighbourhood. Is this the case?

[QUOTE=sral;50960]Beth,

Following along Cindy's thoughts ... if it were environment there should be a higher incidence of neurological problems in your neighbourhood. Is this the case?[/QUOTE]

Sral, I don't know. There are a couple families near us who are original owners of their homes, which were built in the '50s, and so far as I know, they are OK, but don't know about their kids.

If there is radon in the soil, it's dangerous because it's radioactive and is the 2nd leading cause of lung cancer in the US, one article says. Don't know about it causing neuro problems. I'll check with our official neighborhood snoop who knows all and tells all, and see what he says about other residents. He's lived here all his life.

One thing I didn't mention, as I'm a little embarrassed, but I started using metallic spray paints on my paintings in 2004, especially silver, and was warned by another artist that she had had all kinds of medical problems from using that same type of metallic aerosol. I do wear a flimsy mask (not the heavy-duty kind she recommended), and only spray outside, and don't do it very much, but she was giving me all sorts of warnings about it, which I brushed off. I'll contact her and find out exactly what kind of problems she experienced.

Every time I visit a new neuro, the questionnaire says, "Have you been exposed to toxic chemicals," and I check "yes" and nobody ever asks about it.

Could it be that repeated exposures to a variety of toxins over the years piles up damages till the body says, "I give up! No more!" We are all exposed to so much junk.
Some day, future PALS will know the answers to all these questions.
BethU

Last edited:
Beth,

I have to say that I love your spirit and spunk! The way you are tackling everything that is happening to you and your husband is absolutely admiring. If positive energy could rub off, I'd hang around you!

As for the metallic paints, I truly hope that you are nolonger using them. If you are, you may want to stay clear of them for awhile and see how (after months) you and your husband feel. Perhaps you can do a test to see what your toxin levels are.

Been There Done That . I asked the Question can we do a Toxicology Test and i got OOOOK which one would you like .At that i said Why not all of them . Then i got You dont have enough money . SOOO to some up those tests They act like Sooo What do we do when we discover you had a toxic reaction to something which Normally happens is once your away from the Toxin it goes away or in the case of Lead NO CURE . Most Of the Medical Community do not feel as we do ,because they dont have a disease . We do. These people only think when someone on high Says Think . The Only way we have Cures Is for someone to think out of the box . And Those are far and few between .Geo

My mom had a hair analysis done. It was covered by insurance so we said why not, but if I had to pay for it, I don't know if we would have done it. I dont' know how much I would read into the results.

Maybe Wright can jump in with some advice but as I recall the case I think as soon as the person removed herself from the offending toxin she got better. If I find the paper again I'll post a link.

This is what the Norm for Toxins ,once exposure is gone it wears off . BUT for prolonged exposures its different . Like Huffers (paint sniffers) damage is permanent , so i would say any prolonged exposure could cause permanent damage . As A Plumber doing alot of new houses i was exposed to Lots of PVC Cleaner and Glue ,i would use a Quart a day to put Plumbing Pipes in new houses of cleaner Solvent and a Quart a day of PVC Glue . But i was told that i would have Numbness in my fingers and i dont . Geo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back