Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
SE
State
SE
City
Helsingborg
Male 47 years. 3 kids and wife. Have read the stickies and alot of posts. Sorry for long post. Lose weight voluntarily in february, had kidney stone attack, lost more weight. Started with a panic attack in February, could not swallow a sandwich. Became stiff in the neck and had a dry mouth and difficulty swallowing dry food. Anxiety, difficulty sleeping, restless legs. Emergency to doctors who diagnosed anxiety and Globus. Better after 2 weeks. Started to eat normal again but did not gain weight in March after 3 weeks and I could feel my Sternum bone in my chest and panicked, and visited a doctor, the dry mouth came right back. At the same time felt a stiffness in the left little finger and left little toe, could not sleep. Constipation and pee alot many times during day and night.

The doctor did an examination, looked in the mouth, felt the body and noted anxiety and prescribed Setralin and sleeping pills.
April Got better with anxiety and sleep but the physical problems continued. I felt tingling in my cheeks and a certain stiffness in my left cheek when I puffed with my mouth. I was incredibly tired and had problems keeping my back straight when I, for example, cooked, leaned forward, had to sit down and rest often, it was hard to go shopping, heavy to carry bags and shopping cart.
Got Covid and was bedridden for large parts for 2 weeks. In April Felt a little better and could be in the office a couple of days a week again.
The dryness in the mouth improved.

I start reading more on forums on Google i May and then when I walk through my body I find that I have muscle twitches in mainly both calves, but also in the arms that disappear when I move. less more firm fascinations in the armpits as well as in the tongue when it is outside the mouth, at rest in the mouth they are not visible.
My ulnaris muscle in the left hand I notice cramps a bit, both hands are slightly thin, west calf muscle is also slightly thinner.

My situation now in July
My symptoms now are.
Twitching throughout the body, random places, not as often as before, but they can be in the arms, biceps, thighs, calves, sometimes I have felt on the back and in the chest. Disappears when moving. Fasculations or pulse ? symmetrically on the inner ankles, wrist under the thumb, arm folds, leg folds I see the skin move and when I feel there is a regular pulse that I can interpret as arterial pulse because they are in the places where you should be able to feel the pulse, but I feels the pulsation strongly and sees that the skin is moving. When I put one leg over the other, the leg shakes something of an inner tingling.
The ulnar nerve / muscle muscle cramps, has not become more but the same as before. The little finger in the left hand is slightly thinner when I compare with the right. Get pain in the Ulnaris when I pick up small piece with littlefinger and tumb pinch.
When I hold a mobile phone, my hands get tired quickly, feeling in the palms, feels heavier to lift a cast iron pan. The stomach is shaky twiching.
Thinner body, thin arms, legs, feet, hands, face, but I have not loose so much weight as I thought, still same weight as in March.

I pee a lot, a lot of foam. Stools work normally again

The tongue is light and whitish, has twitches in the middle when I stretch it outside the mouth. Continued dry mouth, specially in the morning, even if it is slightly more saliva than when it was driest.
When I eat, there may be leftovers on the teeth and on the tongue, for example tomatoes, there will be peels left, I have not failed to eat or drink , it has been more difficult with dry food, but not drink. The tongue feels slightly weak on the sides. I experience a somewhat slurred voice myself since a few weeks, I have to focus a little more. Left Calf is about 2 cm thinner than right. The feet feel less in the shoes. Irritating in the cheeks, left side feels stiff when I puff with the mouth in that direction. Had a stiff feeling in the right back sice a week, had that before, I feel it when i stand up. Feeling more difficulty breathing since some days, feels like the muscles in the abdomen chest weakened, Feel tired and have a hard time taking me for to do something. Hard to sleep, up for a long time, then I fall asleep pretty fast as it is now, but wake up early and can not fall asleep again.

I can lift 35kg cans, for example, one in each hand. I can lift dumbbells, shoulder and biceps, bench press . Same strength left / right. Walk on toe and heels, can snap buttons, open cans, pick up small crumbs.

There are so many symptoms, sorry again for a long list, I feel very bad mentally and physically, it has been a few months, I have not gotten better but there have been new symptoms, it has not been the case that I have failed and can not do something that I could not do before, it feels harder, feels worse and I'm tired. I will book a new visit to the doctor and see a neurologist to make real tests, and I hope to get some feedback here on the forum about what it is I experience and if that is how it starts or develops? I hope I can get some explanations to my symptoms

Know that there are no doctors here, but very experienced who can see if they have seen this pattern before.

Thank you.

let us know what the doctor says.

to me none of this sounds familiar and the swallowing issues do not sound like what I have heard/ seen in family and friends.

anything that happened after covid may be related to that. Twitching and neurologic issues have been reported and we have seen several posters whose symptoms started after covid ( none ended up with ALS)

1) Restless leg syndrome is treatable with drugs, so I would ask the internist/neuro about that. Improving your sleep could also improve many things. An SSRI (sertraline) can actually worsen sleep, especially if you have limb movement issues to begin with, so I would reconsider that if you are still taking it.
2) Since you acknowledge panic and anxiety, counseling is important along with any drugs.
3) Googling your symptoms/reading posts here is a fool's errand and will not help you feel better. What you report does not, as Nikki notes, accord with what we know of ALS.

Best,
Laurie

Thank you for your answers. I know I got different symptoms after Covid, lost taste and smell, and was very tired, but when I felt the twitches before Covid, I'm sure they were there before. Also do not take sleeping pills anymore and no Setralin. Tonight I slept a little longer than before but to little still, woke up with sleeping hands, which I often do now and dry mouth.
Panic I not have regulary, Anxeity alot ofcourse over this situation.
About Restlesslegs, was it something I had initially in February, but nothing I felt later unless the inner tingling is due to it?
I do not feel good to be around on Google and certainly not here but it is so hard to find someone who has had similar. It's good that none of you feel the symptoms as typical.

I would have appreciated if you can explain little more if possible
about what it is that points away from ALS more that the swallowing issues ?

ALS onset has nothing to do with dry mouth or your hands falling asleep, the color of your tongue, "inner tingling," etc. You acknowledge that you can lift weights of 35kg normally. That pretty much says it all.

There is no point in saying more about "why not" because it will only feed your anxiety as you potentially begin to feel you have more symptoms. I am sure your forthcoming medical appointments will be reassuring as regards ALS, but there is no reason for you to post further until you have results.

I think you might need to appreciate that we took a huge amount of time and effort to create this post
It is possible that you only read it very quickly, or imagine that your case is different. It is our offical position.

Asking people who are either terminally ill or supporting them, to take more time to explain details of your concerns more is maybe asking a lot?
The post I just linked explains why what you report does not indicate ALS.
You can work with doctors that can examine you much more effectively than asking terminally to support you.

Please go back and work with your doctors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back