Mamabear7

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
UK
Hello.
I’m 33 years old female and I’ve had neurologist consultation today after experiencing symptoms of weakness in my calf. The strength of my arms and legs was found to be fine but the doctor found brisk reflexes and positive Hoffman sign. No babinski sign found. I also have fasiculations all over my body but most often in my calves. He mentioned something about c8 compression and told me I don’t have als. He ordered spine mri.
I’m worried sick that I might have als as my reflexes are brisk and Hoffman’s is positive.
Can someone tell me if I should be worried? I have three beautiful girls and I want to see them growing up 😭😭😭

The neurologist said not ALS and that is wonderful. a spine mri sounds very appropriate

Thank you for your reply. Yes that’s what he said but how does he know? Also my left calf is smaller than my right calf. Only by one centimetre and the doctor said he can’t see any muscle wastage.
I’m sorry if I’m insulting anyone on here with my symptoms, that is not my intention. I’m just so worried and scared I do not know what to do. Does positive Hoffman’s and brisk reflexes always indicate als or could it be something else?

He knows because he has studied medicine for many years and then worked in neurology for however long.
If he doesn't see any concern, you either accept that, or you could get a second opinion.
We won't argue against a doctor that has examined you, how could we possibly do that?
Of course, Hoffman's and brisk reflexes could mean a load of other things.
You need to discuss your concerns with your primary doctor and figure a way to move forward to wellness.
I do wish you all the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back