Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
KY
City
Ashland
Hello. I am having some symptoms that have me worried. I am an anxious person, but this has terrified me.

It started with some left arm aches and pains and some weakness. I’ll add, this is the arm I have carried my almost 3 year old in since birth. He sits on that arm and hip and always has. It started hurting a year or so ago. I go to the doctor. Clean arm X-ray. Sends me for PT (haven’t started it yet). Dx is tendonitis- solved right? Note: I’m not dropping anything. I can still fully use it completely, it just hurts to sometimes and it feels weak at times or tired after using it much.

Well, in the same week, I go to spine doc for my neck pain and lower back pain. she does a regular exam and says I have hyper reflexes. I feel like I always remember my knees flying up during reflex exams and no one has ever mentioned it? Anywho. She says I have hyper reflexes and positive Hoffman’s sign. Doesn’t go into detail. Doesn’t say it’s of concern. Doesn’t really elaborate at all. but left me questioning.

So I go home. Google. And link that to my arm issues and found als. I start reading more and more. I find that a lump sensation in the throat is also a symptom. I have had that for a really long time I feel like? I’m always swallowing and burping to rid the sensation. And also the constant phlegm and clearing of throat.... I have done that for a long time too!! My husband says maybe even years? I’m not sure. But I will sound like I am hocking a loogie but don’t actually do that and just swallow the phlegm cuz it clears me. And I do a lot through the day.

I am not familiar with ALS. I do not have family history of it. I am 27 year old female. And I’m wondering if my anxiety is linking all these together or if it’s truly of concern. I spoke with my pcp and she made referral to neurologist just for my peace of mind but can’t get in until March.

I’ll add that I have thyroid issues as well. Have gone from hyperthyroid to hypo and have had RAI treatment on it.
Thank you for anyone that takes the time to read and respond. God Bless.

Hi
first please read ( or re read) this carefully. Important - READ BEFORE POSTING! Answers to common concerns about possible symptoms

pain and feeling weak are not ALS presenting symptoms. Neither is a lump in your throat no matter what Dr Google says. See the section on globus

thyroid issues and anxiety affect reflexes. Some people are just hyperreflexive anyway. Hoffman’s can certainly be normal especially if bilateral but can be unilateral too. Your doctor wasn’t worried because they saw the whole picture And did not see anything of concern

Thank you so much for your reply. It’s much appreciated. The globus makes sense! I really didn’t have als on my radar when my arm pain and weakness started, until my doc said that about reflexes, then once I started reading I started to connect things I have. Such as the lump and constant phlegm and clearing of throat. I swallow food and water fine and don’t choke. I just got overwhelmed in my anxiety.

I also have what I call internal vibrations. My doc said was linked to anxiety tho. I only have them every now and then and they seem worse when I’m trying to fall asleep. Feels like my body is vibrating. Lol. But I don’t think that’s related to ALS either. As I’m getting older I’m realizing that some things are just anxiety or age related!! Thank you! So you don’t believe my symptoms are related to ALS?

Correct. We hear that vibrating thing a lot from the worried well

relax, forget about ALS and enjoy life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back