Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
MS
City
vicksburg
Hello, what were your first symptoms of ALS? And please explain how PALS were able to still use their limbs if they have to be “clinically” weak before it to be considered ALS? Isn’t clinical weakness where you cannot move the muscle at all? Example, if ALS started in your bicep, wouldn’t it have started as just mild weakness then progressed to clinical (no function)? And, if so, wouldn’t you have seen the doctor when it was mild not when it just didn’t work? I ask that bc i’m extremely nervous about my right arm weakness.

Ever since I had a botched IV in my arm that developed a superficial clot (which is no longer there), my arm has been weak. It has gone numb and pain off and on. I can still use it 100% but i’ve read where you can still use muscles due to accessory muscles. I’m scared thinking that a damaged nerve has turned into the motor neuron disease. I’ve also read where that can happen. So if I go to a doctor he or she will just say it’s not ALS because i can still use it, is that correct?

Plus, I had Covid about a month ago with only loss of smell, low grade fever for a day, and weakness. So i’m scared that can also contribute to me having a MND. What are the earliest symptoms of ALS? and do you guys think I have “clinical” weakness even though I can and still have to use my arm? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
mod note, moved from PALS subforum

Hello-

Please read here first. Important - READ BEFORE POSTING! Answers to common concerns about possible symptoms
It explains a whole variety of things about the purpose of this forum and answers many common questions about symptoms and the difference between clinical and perceived weakness. Doctors look for a variety of things during a clinical exam, of which strength is just one thing. They can look for other neurological signs that can indicate cause for concern, should there be an issue. Covid causes all sorts of health issues, but there is no connection between Covid and ALS.

Last edited:
Thank you for the response. I did read and from what i can gather, it says that weakness isn’t even noticed in the early stage because other muscles chip in to help. So i guess what i’m asking is if there has been anyone that had subtle weakness in their limb as a first symptom.

No it doesn’t say that. It says there is failure - not of the whole limb but there will be something you can’t do. Because of the first muscle or muscles that fail.

Pain and numbness are not presenting ALS symptoms.

covid has led to some people coming here thinking they had als. They didn’t. They had post covid viral syndrome

a nerve injury such as you describe has nothing to do with motor neuron disease

The onset of ALS isn't "subtle weakness." The people who come here with something that isn't easily clinically appreciated seldom have anything serious going on, least of all, ALS. Neither a botched IV/nerve injury (for which PT could be a consideration, btw) nor COVID can bring on ALS.

Best,
Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back