Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
IL
City
Brookfield
Hi all,

First off, I want to say thank you too all people here taking there time to answer questions for people fearing ALS. The fact that a lot of you have it and take the time out of your day to help people is amazing.

So first off, here is what happened to me in a short but sweet version. I'm going to list everything, even knowing some may not be mutually exclusive.

6-8 weeks ago my pinky toe on my right foot went numb (still is)

4 weeks ago- I had a pretty bad evening/night: my whole right arm felt weak and tired and my elbow hurt. It felt like i had the same amount of streng but can't be sure. That same night I started getting twitching all over my body.

3 weeks ago till now: the first day after that night, all of my muscles (arms and legs) felt weak/tired. I'm still getting twitches all over and the last few days one spot keeps twitching more than most (still twitching all over, including other arm, legs and even butt but hot spot is my right bicep). I still feel general tiredness in both my arms (right seems worse) and legs. It's hard to explain but it's like I just don't want to use them.

I've been to my PCP and got an MRI that came back perfectly clear. I have a neurologist appointment in 2 weeks but the stress and anxiety I'm putting on myself from fear is really hurting me. Can anyone give me some advice?

Forgot to mention that I had my right pinky tingling/numbness about 2 weeks ago. As well as a tingling on my back right shoulder blade and mild tingling on both of my cheeks. Has only happened about 3 times.

Also, my blood work came back and everything was normal except my vitamin D was low (16), and they prescribed me a vitamin d pill (50,000iu) once a week for 8 weeks and potentially low testosterone (going back Monday at 8 am for another test of testosterone)

Last edited:
Forgot to mention that I had my right pinky tingling/numbness about 2 weeks ago. As well as a tingling on my back right shoulder blade and mild tingling on both of my cheeks. Has only happened about 3 times.

If you read the sticky titled READ BEFORE POSTING you will see that twitching means nothing.

Numbness and 'feeling tired' are also NOT signs of ALS onset.

I cannot walk and am typing this with one knuckle, but I FEEL just fine!

Wow - READ THE STICKY - NO ALS for you.

It's easy to find it's titled READ BEFORE POSTING.

Guys, I did read. Promise. No concerns about the muscle weakness?

Thank you all for your help.

Perceived weakness is not necessarily clinical weakness.

I do not FEEL weak.

As Greg says - you feel weak. With ALS you do not feel weak at all.

I'm sure the sticky covers that clearly.

MND has symptoms pretty identical to ALS. It's blood tests and to some extent the EMG that sorts out the difference. Greg is right, you have no symptoms of MND either.

I know you guys aren't doctors but any insight into what you think it might be?

Just to be clear, in some countries "MND" [motor neuron disease] is synonymous with "ALS," but there is more than one disease that flies under that label, e.g. PLS, PBP and so on. Blood tests don't relate to the distinctions between them.

But in any case, JB, the neuro appointment should begin the process of finding a totally different cause for the numbness. Don't worry meanwhile, just live your life. All the best.

Sorry, dumb brain was crossing MND with MMN... that's what I meant in my reply.

So you guys still feel I don't fall under any of those mnd's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back