Moonshine1

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
CA
Hi,

I am a 34 yo male. Around a month ago I started noticing twitches on my left eye, for three days I had them and then after 3 days, they went away and I started getting very bad muscle cramps in my right foot and my right hand. It is so bad that sometimes I cannot pick up stuff properly, or I cannot type with ease or accuracy as I used to do. Now I also have widespread twiching (Including my left eye), in almost everywhere in my body, but the muscle stiffness is only on my right side.

I had an EMG / NCS with a neurologist 2 weeks ago, he checked both my legs and my arm and also did that reflex test where he uses a hammer and asked me to push my hand and feet against his hands a few times. At the end he told me that he hasn't seen any sign of ALS or any other nerve issues, but he saw the Fasciculation in my leg. He asked me to take Magnesium and also drink lots of water and also mentioned that this may be cramp fasciculation syndrome and also gave me a follow up in 6 months for another EMG.

Now of course, I am super stressed because, I am thinking that maybe the fasciculation sign that he saw in my leg was a sign that this can be ALS and he just didn't want to stress me and wants to see what is going to happen in 6 months. My question is, is it normal to show fasciculation in EMG? is that a sign of ALS on the EMG? given the extent of cramping on my hand and foot, would other signs already show on the EMG and his clinical?

I truly apologize if my questions are stupid, but I also suffer from another condition called Visual Snow Syndrome which is exacerbated with stress, and I have been really losing it this past few weeks.

Appreciate your answers and help here

Thanks

I truly believe you can settle yourself and trust your doctor.
You can also find a lot of reassurance in this post, please read it really carefully as it is our official position and allows us to get these answers to all your questions to you simply and without needing to explain the same things over and over.

fasciculations or twitches mean nothing. Please read the post carefully so you can see why your doctor has correctly told you why this isn't ALS and then legally covers himself by saying come back in 6 months.
EMG's are not done too early, again read the link above to understand why.
I wish you the best returning to health.

So I'm gathering that you had a normal EMG and a normal exam. Those are way more important than fascics, which are often benign and not a sign of ALS without support from other findings (the ones that were normal).

You might try a few drops of magnesium lotion on hot spots, and up your electrolyte consumption, and certainly hydrate if you're dehydrated, but slamming water can deplete electrolytes, so reassessing your diet and what you drink is good, too.

Thanks for your responses.

I know, believe me I know. But this spascity in my hand is killing me, even when I am typing this, I am doing it with such a difficulty, my hand keeps cramping for some reason. Appreciate your reply’s though.

I think it's important to note that unless you have had a doctor tell you you have spasticity, it is not something you can assess for yourself. Cramping does not equal spasticity, nor does a feeling of stiffness or muscle fatigue. Your doctor has cleared you of ALS and he would not obscure a concern for that terminal disease if you showed any signs. That would be irresponsible and unprofessional.

Self diagnosis is a dangerous path to take.
Please see your doctor with your concerns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back