Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
MS
City
Sumrall
Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated! I'm a 30 year old male. Approx 4 and a half years ago I started having weakness in my right leg, and some cramping and fasculations. Over time It has progressed to my right arm and I now have fasculations all over almost all the time. My right arm and leg arm spastic and I've noticed increased tone/light atrophy particularly in my right forarm. My right leg seems to almost be larger? My right arm back, chest, right arm are all weak and fatigue easily although I'm still in pretty good shape. My throat and neck feel spastic and it affects my swollowing at times.

There are times when I notice my symptoms less. Ive been to 2 neurologist. I've had MRIs and they were all good. I've had all the blood work you can think of and it was all good with exception of slightly increased WBC. I have brisk reflexes everywhere and clonis in right achillies reflex. I have some buzzing but that's the only sensory symptoms. Doctor suspected MS but MRIs are good.

I Have a lumbar puncture scheduled for Monday which may be helpful in finding out what's going on. My concern is that I'm twitching and cramping almost constantly now, I take baclofen and it seems to help temporarily. The doctors can't figure out what's going on so I'm looking for help or opinions.

The doctor told me I do not have als because my symptoms have been going on for 4 years and have not progressed dramatically which was comforting. I havent been to concerned untill the clonus showed up and my right forarm stated to atrophy. Thanks for any opinions or suggestions. God bless

I would think your docs might consider an EMG if in fact you do have appreciable atrophy, but there are many possibilities, with "nothing at all" still one of them. The four years is a strong argument against any but the slowest of MNDs, which is very low on the list.

Best,
Laurie

Thanks for the reply. I had an emg done when I first started having symptoms. It was good although my symptoms were very mild at that time. I had a repetitive nerve study that had some abnormalities. If the lumbar puncture I'm doing monday comes back clear we will do another emg. My neruo said he is going to put me on a trial of steroids or immunosuppression to see if there is any benefit if they are unable to find anything in csf. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back