Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
FL
City
Orlando
Good morning- I just want to say that this is an awesome group and I’m thankful for threads like this. My story:

on November 3rd I noticed my left thumb started twitching and then by November 7th twitching started over my whole body. I went to see my regular doctor who order labs and a MRI. MRI was normal but CK was elevated to 231 so she referred me to a neurologist who did a upper EMG and Lower EMG on December 5th. I went back for the follow up and my EMG was normal except a mild case of carpel tunnel in both hands. Since then I’ve developed muscles cramps, muscle fatigued all over, neck pain and my left hand now feels weaker than normal.
Does this sound like ALS?
Thanks for any advise!

No. ALS doesn't show up everywhere all at once, nor as overall fatigue, and your EMG was normal as regards ALS. I would follow up with your internist and look at all the mundane things you may have read in these threads such as stress, sleep, food, drink and exercise. With neck pain, it's always worth considering your chairs, bed, etc. and your postural support.

Best,
Laurie

Even with the slow progress now that my left hand feels weaker? And all my muscles twitch once I use them Should I repeat the EMG now that it’s been almost 3 months?
Thanks for your reply above.

Carpal tunnel often causes weakness. Hand therapy on your own or with a hand therapist can help. Another EMG won't dispute your good fortune.

Hello I’m back- I’m not having issues with difficulty swallowing. I can get food in my throat but now it seems to go down slower and sits at the bottom of my esophagus unless I flush it with water. I’m burping a lot more than I use to also. No speech problems just issues with food going down.

My advice would be to chew your food more and take smaller bites. I'm not sure what is going on with you, but it's not ALS related, as I'm sure deep down you know. This site is for those with ALS, their caregivers, or those that have questions about possible ALS symptoms. You are none of these,which is a wonderful thing. Keep working with your docs.

Good luck to you.

Eat slower. Flush with juice. If your throat feels irritated, lay off hard rough foods like chips for now. ALS is not in this picture.

Would annunciation words improperly here and there be a sign? Or is it more consistent?

No, its not a sign. You do not evidence ALS, so there's no need to regale you with the symptoms that come with this horrible disease.

Probably time to move on from this forum and continue with your doc. Good luck to you.

Many of us botch words from time to time. When you become self-conscious or worried about it, you do it more often, your mouth may be dry with anxiety, and the cycle continues.

To help you move on, I have closed this thread. Please do not start another. Instead, channel that energy into developing or continuing a good relationship with a primary care doc that you can share your concerns with, and consider counseling. Your healthy, happy life is awaiting you.

All the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back