Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
WI
I first want to say thank you for taking the time to read my post. I have been reading posts on this thread for a while and I finally decided to add my own.
I had a breast surgery the 3rd week of May of this year. About 2 to 3 weeks after my surgery I started having these concerning symptoms:
1. Stiff legs, right leg worse. This symptom has been the most concerning as there are some days it feels like I cannot bend my legs at the knee. Makes it hard to walk. Some days are better then others. This symptom came in suddenly one morning and never went away.
2. Weakness in arms, legs, and jaw. No clinical weakness but muscles tire very easily.
3. Whole body twitching- worse at rest. This symptom is fairly new.
4. Hands feel clumsy and my dexterity feels “off” but I have not dropped anything.
I have seen the neurologist a couple of times and he has done a complete blood panel, EMG, and MRI- all were normal. Dr did say that I have heightened reflexes( knee tap kicked dr). Dr seems to think that it’s some kind of virus? Seems odd to me that these symptoms would be caused by a virus.
I am hoping that someone can give me some piece of mind because right now I am in a panic. Bless all of you that have this terrible diagnosis. Thank you in advance for your responses.

Your symptoms and tests say not ALS. Post viral symptoms such as yours have definitely been reported here multiple times. They do eventually go away but can last for months

I do hope you feel better soon but they can last for 6 months or more

The other possibility, besides a virus, would be a reaction to medication. You didn’t say what kind of breast surgery, but if you had chemo or are still on meds for breast cancer, many of them are associated with musculoskeletal and neuromuscular symptoms.

Heightened reflexes can be a normal variant.

The normal EMG is reassuring against ALS.

Keep working with your doctors and see if they think any medication could be contributing. The odds are greatly in your favor for symptoms to improve.

Last edited:
The other possibility, besides a virus, would be a reaction to medication. You didn’t say what kind of breast surgery, but if you had chemo or are still on meds for breast cancer, many of them are associated with musculoskeletal and neuromuscular symptoms.

Heightened reflexes can be a normal variant.

The normal EMG is reassuring against ALS.

Keep working with your doctors and see if they think any medication could be contributing. The odds are greatly in your favor for symptoms to improve.
Thank you. No breast cancer and no meds except the ones I had during the surgery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back