00/0000
Country
DK
State
VJ
City
Vejle
Hi all,

I have read the stickies and have tried to keep my mind as far from ALS as possible. I'm a 25 year old male, always been healthy played professional football until this past year where a 5th concussion ended my career. I understand how difficult this disease is and I pray for all of you, and I also understand own rare it is; especially for someone my age.

I have had mri and ct scans on my head just from my previous concussion and they have turned up completely normal, also had all of my blood work done and they told me I'm as healthy as a horse. But for the last 3 months or so I have been feeling weakness throughout my forearm on my left arm. My strength hasn't seemed to diminish at all, but post workout and I get pretty extreme fatigue in my left forearm alone. No atrophy present, but I also get a crawling feeling under my skin on my forearm, as well as a shaky feeling in my hand.

Im not to sure what early onset symptoms might be for ALS and I have been trying to not think the worst, but it is so localized it has been worrying me.

Thanks for reading and any responses, I understand it is annoying to get so many people asking about their symptoms but at the same time that is what this section of the forum is for so I appreciate any advice given!

All that feeling without loss of function does not sound like ALS onset. Have you had the arm evaluated by a doctor? that needs to be the first step. If you have what did they say? Any abnormal reflexes? Any clinical weakness? Is there a plan?

I understand the concussion concern. I think ,though, Steve Gleason, Kevin Turner and OJ Brigance etc all played longer than you and the effect is believed to be cumulative

You've been 'feeling weakness'.

My legs barely twitch, and I'm typing this with a knuckle as my arms and hands barely function.

But I 'feel' fine. I don't feel the least bit weak.

Hi Nikki,

Thanks for the response, I have had my reflexes tested and a basic neurological valuation and they said my strength is all there. I was planning on getting a second opinion just to check because it just seems strange to me. It has been going on for 3 months or so and has stayed relatively the same, some days worse then others depending on how strenuous of an activity I do.

You're right they all played longer professional careers then me, though I have been playing for about 18 years.

You've been 'feeling weakness'.

My legs barely twitch, and I'm typing this with a knuckle as my arms and hands barely function.

But I 'feel' fine. I don't feel the least bit weak.

If you don't mind my asking what were the first symptoms you noticed?

I would look to your diet, sleep, workout routine and stress first. You have had a lot of changes in each, I'd imagine, since your football career ended. The crawling feeling in particular, as well as your age, argues against ALS, and is often associated with electrolyte or hydration imbalances. You might consider an eval with a hand surgeon or therapist (who might recommend an EMG to rule out something like carpal tunnel) as there could be some previous injury that you have exacerbated or unmasked.

But please don't ask people here for a blow-by-blow of how their symptoms presented. That kind of general information is widely available and people here are not reading/typing as fast as you. But as previously noted, your presentation doesn't match up -- a good thing.

Best,
Laurie

So sorry about your career ending.

What you describe is nothing like ALS onset and we don't describe our onset here for undiagnosed people. It's far better for you to report to us (as you have) what you are experiencing, and for us to respond (as we have).

I hope your doctors solve things for you quickly but honestly this is not ALS. All the best.

Thank you for all the responses I understand it is difficult to type for some so I apologize for the lengthy posts and questions. I appreciate the feedback and I will be making a new appointment to get a second opinion on be on the safe side.

I'll be praying for all of you and thank you for the concern of my career. it was a good run but my mental health is more important then a game!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back