Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
OZ
State
WA
Hi there,
I don’t want to take up anyone’s precious time and am speaking to the right medical people but am so worried. Anything anyone can say to put my mind at ease please. I’m 40yo female with two young kids.

I am 8 weeks post cervical spine surgery, I had bulging discs impinging on my spine from an injury. Two level disc replacement and I felt I was getting better.
My symptoms where numbness in right hand and less in left, weakness in right arm.

So the last week I feel like this is all back and I’ve also got tingling and weakness in my right foot. I can still stand on it but it feels like it’ll give way. I have random nerve firings through my arms and legs, like jolts. Is there a chance to have both cervical radiculopathy and ALS? Was I misdiagnosed, I am driving everyone crazy with worry.

I have read the rules and it makes so much sense that this is all because of my cervical spine surgery but I am still so worried!! My coordination in my hands is bad. I am constantly testing myself by using chopsticks etc. I fell like I’m going crazy.

I have called my neurosurgeon and seeing my doctor. I saw a neurologist before my cervical diagnosis and they did a physical exam which was fine but no other tests. I will ask to get more tests to absolutely rule out ALS. I hope I’m not being insensitive in posting. I have searched this thread and there was a few people who had both cervical spine issues and then found out they had ALS. I hope my surgery was not for nothing.

I am very glad you have contacted your doctors and will be reevaluated. Of course it is possible to have two things ( or more) wrong with you.
however, tingling and jolts do not sound like ALS. They sound like they could be spine related so I hope you are being seen very soon. Best of luck to you

Thank you for your lighting fast response. I truly hope it’s all spine related and it gets better after more time healing. Regression is frightening.

To be clear I wasn’t saying this is normal post op. I think you need to see your doctor asap. It just doesn’t sound like ALS to me

Thank you Nikki,
Just for the reassurance with my worry on ALS. I will see my PCP tomorrow and try to get a referral for an EMG. That will probably be the only thing to truly put my mind at ease.

I also don’t think it’s normal, but my nerves where compress for a long time and hopefully this is part of the healing.

I would also ask about a PT or physical medicine referral, presuming the EMG is reassuring. You may have resumed activities that overtaxed the healing process, or perhaps could benefit from more focused therapy.

Best,
Laurie

Thank you for the reply Laurie, I have been so worried about doing damage I’ve not done much exercise, now my right arm is very weak from tips to shoulders.
My right leg the same.
My mind just constantly takes me to sinister places due to this weakness. I had my PT session yesterday and my PT could not see any muscle atrophy in arms, both sided where the same in grip strength (28kg)
I hope these are all good signs

Just one more question, how definitive is hyper reflexes as a symptom for ALS? I know I have it in my right leg, but the neurologist said it’s normal for an anxious mum. Also my neurosurgeon did not say it could correlate to spine

So yes, the reverse is true -- too little exercise can lead to weakness/atrophy/floppiness.

In and of itself, hyperreflexia is not a key concern -- reflexes often wax and wane, interpretation is somewhat individualized, and there are many reasons they can be hyper or hypo. It is a combination of features that would lead to ALS concern.

Thanks again, I’m so hopeful that this is all related to my spine and anxiety.
I’m testing my strength all the time. Trying to stand on one right toes while lifting leg and trying hop on one foot. All the while inside not convinced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back