Diagnosis
10/2015
Country
US
State
WA
City
Seattle
Hi, checking if anyone else has symptoms of PLS that include complete loss of ability to move legs and arms, loss of grip. Result is complete inability to dress, bathe, toilet, sit, stand or walk. Thanks in advance.

Hi Seattle PLS, welcome to the forum- and sorry for the reason you are here.
While this section of the forum can be quiet, I believe there are quite a few folk with PLS who visit here regularly. I am hoping you get a few answers, but it might take a couple days.

~F

Hi Seattle PLS. My husband is currently diagnosed with probably PLS but it has only been 2.5 years so he could still transition to ALS. He only has bulbar symptoms so far. We are keeping a close watch on his limbs but so far he doesn't have any limb symptoms.

Seattle, my guess would be that "PLS" has transitioned to ALS, as is frequently the case and can reportedly occur as late as 10-25 years after onset. Weakness and atrophy are minimal at worst in PLS, since only the upper motor neurons are affected. The extent of disability that you are describing would be associated with ALS rather than PLS.

If the EMG were repeated, it would likely show lower motor neuron damage this time. So this would be a good time to start tracking or keep reassessing breathing and swallowing, to consider BiPAP, a modified diet, and a feeding tube, if/as they are needed and agreed. I am assuming there is now a wheelchair, hospital bed and patient lift in use.

Best,
Laurie

Seattle PLS,

"Complete loss" dos not sound like PLS. Spasticity, slowness of movement, and even weakness is typical of PLS, but not complete loss. I agree with previous posters that an EMG would help determine what is going on. I have PLS, but am not a medical professional.

Thanks to all of you for your replies. Very helpful information.

You don't mention how long you have hd symptoms. PLS can easily be confused with Upper Motor Neuron ALS during the early years. Usually before year 4-5 Lower Motor Neuron (LMN) symptoms appear. PLS is an extremely RARE disease. ALS is 100 times more likely. Bulbar PLS is a rare form of PLS and can be diagnosed after 2 years. Bulbar ALS is very aggressive and you are near death after 2 years. PLS is also a slow progressing disease. From your description it doesn't sound like PLS.

Hi everyone, symptoms started in 2013 timeframe and I official diagnosis of PLS came in 2016. Mostly not being able to walk very well, now can't even stand or use arms at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back