Not open for further replies.

Kristin01

Country
US
State
CA
City
San Diego
I'm sorry if I'm starting to annoy people. I'm really not trying to. When I was looking in the mirror today and making scary faces with my daughter, I noticed that the left side of my lip drooped down more than the right. It is not obvious unless I'm making a silly face. My lips seem pretty symmetrical when I smile, except I notice that the right corner turns up more than the left. This would not be obvious to anyone else. However, when I made the scary face, the lower left lip did drop down farther than the right. Is this usually seen with bulbar onset?

I hate this. I can't sleep. I keep smiling in the mirror, and I can definitely tell that when I smile, the left corner goes down, while the right corner goes up. Is this a common first symptom?

Kristin, my mouth has always been crooked when I smile, I noticed it years and years ago now when a guy I was dating at the time pointed it out, (he thought it endearing) He would talk about my "captivating crooked smile" in front of my daughter, and she'd be like "yuck! he's too nice! and mimic him when he wasn't around LOL If she'd think she might be in trouble for something she'd say, come on mom, show me that captivating crooked smile of yours!

I also read a question you'd posted about the tongue tremor. Doctors don't seem to care if there is movement when we stick out tongue's out, but rather when it is at rest in the mouth.

I think that hormones during pregnancy can mess things up for us a little bit. Do your best to focus elsewhere and probably every last symptom that is bothering you now will disappear after the baby comes.

To specifically answer your question about one side of the mouth not responding equally to the other, no, that is not an initial symptom of bulbar onset. If your entire side of your face becomes obviously asymmetrical, then it still wouldn't point to bulbar onset, but maybe something like Bell's palsy, that is not fatal, and people usually make a complete recovery from.

These are the best times of your life (I know you're probably tired of hearing it, but its true) Enjoy having a little one to read to and rock and play with, you're very blessed to have that, and then you've got the next baby on the way! Keep on making the scary faces too! Has your daughter decided what she wants to be for Halloween?

Take care :smile:

HI Kristen

It is weird because I just smiled in the mirror yesturday to check my teeth and I noticed a difference in the sides of my mouth and my chin. One side of my face, the one that had the crampy feeling, was thinner at my chin. It is not too notable but it is there. I thought that latley when I look at my photos, my face looks different then a year ago. It is the chin thing and it seems like I lost muscle or fat-not sure wich. It just does not look as full under the skin, I have that all over my body----baggy skin. No answer to why that happens and I am afraid to get an emg on my face...ouch!

anyway, it could have always been like that and you never noticed before! I agree that being pregnant can make your body whacky. So, try not to worry about this. Give it time and see what happens after your body and hormones go back to normal, and that can take time also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back