00/0000
Country
US
State
AZ
City
Phoenix
Greetings,

I've been lurking here for a couple months and finally got a neurologist appointment. It isn't for another month and I'm going crazy so I decided to just post.

I went to my PCP about pain and weakness in my right arm I've been having for the past couple years and had some MRIs done.

A few things were found:

1. Structurally, I have a torn rotator cuff. This would presumably be the cause of the pain and weakness more towards the shoulder area.
2. I have moderate cervical stenosis in my neck
3. I have a herniated c7 disc
4. I also have some bone spurs somewhere in the lower thoracic region giving me sciatica. Don't remember which one that was

I've also had numbness in both arms that comes and goes for 10-15+ years that has, in the past, been attributed to "nerve damage" but I don't know what exactly.

The reason that I'm posting is because I have some symptoms that I don't know whether or not they can be attributed to the above findings.

In short, my bicep seems to have gotten slightly weaker over time, and my right arm is twitching most of the time (mainly in the bicep too)

A lot of times bicep strength can be due to something related to a rotator cuff tear (this is my PCP's theory), but we didn't find anything structurally wrong.

And the twitching. My PCP didn't seem to know why I'd be twitching and that's why I got the referral to a neurologist. I'm just really concerned about the apparent weakness over the past year or so combined with twitching in the same muscle.

You have several conditions that could account for twitching and the rest of what you describe. So I don't see any reason to jump to ALS.

I'm sure the neurologist will suggest a care plan such as PT and possibly more interventional procedures depending on whether, for example, there is significant cord compression. I would also consider an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon in order to have both perspectives.

Best,
Laurie

Thanks for the response Laurie.

I guess what concerned me is that my PCP wasn't sure that any of the back or possibly shoulder stuff could also cause persistent twitching. So you think either the shoulder or back stuff could cause persistent twitches?

I do have an appointment lined up to repair the torn rotator cuff, but the twitching hasn't been brought up there

Thanks

I do. Muscles in spasm and damaged/irritated nerves can both manifest as twitching.

Back Stuff, not saying this is to you or… maybe. But for others.

Maybe a question we over look when someone posts they have body
wide body twitches (fasciculation) and admitted anxiety.

Do you drink energy drinks?

Many of these energy drinks have more caffeine than a cup of coffee.

Since the introduction of Red Bull in 1987, the energy drink market has
exploded. Energy drinks excite the small intestine, causing secretion
of water and cause... anxiety, muscle-twitching. These have become the
most common side effects of the numerous new energy drink fad.

These drinks can also cause muscle stiffness, (spasticity) muscle cramps
which tend to be painful.

Energy drinks are known to induce anxiety symptoms, and people with
panic disorder and health anxiety disorder are especially sensitive.

Again, for others too.

PS. Doing on top of the equally exploded market of OTC supplements
advertised on TV. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back