Appreciated1

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
UK
Hi All,

I’ve been reading over the sticky for a while now and it’s reassured me for the most part but one detail I have remembered has worried me.

I’m an age where the sticky means it would be super unlikely to be als but I have been in a state of worry now for a little while and it’s really affecting my family life.

Back in 2020 I broke my foot playing football, and when I returned every time I trained or played I had an awful tightness/pain in my calves/feet. This would be painful for say 30 mins and then maybe adrenaline would make it go or something and I could carry on.

I didn’t think anything of this really for a long time, then back in last October I started twitching non stop in both calves. They are worse after exercise and when lying down, but pretty much constant. That tightness still there when playing to this day but with regular massages has been much better last couple of months.

Month or two ago I got sighing dyspnea which I stupidly googled, and along with the twitching and stiffness I got pointed at als. This has frightened the life out of me and given me health anxiety which I realise could be playing a part here especially with the dyspnea and twitches which have spread since this.

My GP did a neurological test and strength and said I don’t have to worry about it but offered no suggestions as to what was wrong. I have read today that abnormal muscle tone is a symptom of spasticity too? And although I see no atrophy the muscles there are very pronounced if that makes sense.

Sorry for the long message and really sorry to even trouble you with this message in the first place.

Sorry I should mention that I had bloods done and had low folic acid which I’ve had supplements for 3 months now. Not really made a difference to symptoms though.

Maybe get a referral to physiotherapy? You should be stretching your muscles several times a day. Warm them up first. It makes sense that after a break, your muscles would tighten. They'll stay that way until you get into a routine that loosens them up.

Work with your doctor.

Thanks for the reply Kim.

I will definitely stretch more and work with the physio at my club.

Is there anything to suggest ALS there in your opinion.

Your help is very generous and appreciated like you wouldn’t believe.

If your folic acid level is low, other B vitamins could be low as well. Blood tests do not always reflect this. I would consider a B complex supplement that provides the RDA (not thousands%) of all the Bs, or a good multi. Diet and possible overindulgences can play a role as well.

I see no reason to worry about ALS.

Make sure you're taking folate, not folic acid. Also, both B Complex and folate are available in sublingual form. They are water soluble but can sometimes upset your stomach. Don't worry when your pee turns yellow. Your body will rid itself of any it didn't absorb.

I see nothing that even remotely indicates ALS.

Best wishes,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back