Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Texas
City
Austin
Hello all!

I have been having some strange symptoms for the last month. It all came about suddenly and I’m concerned.

All started May 29th, ceased for 10 days then symptoms arose again.

Symptoms:

- involuntary thumb and middle finger twitch/movement (this lasted for a week and hasn’t returned)
- fasciculations all over body (legs, arms, buttocks, face, head etc)
- sore legs, left leg shakes uncontrollably if raising or putting weight on it
- palatal myoclonus (throat click)
- constant spitting up of mucus and swallowing
- excessive saliva that drools out of the left side of my mouth
- difficulty saying certain words (maybe some slurring?)
- stiff hands in morning gets better as day goes on
- left side cheek numbness that comes and goes
- left hand is very shaky and fingers move involuntarily if I hold it out straight

The majority of my issues seem to be on my left side. I’m pretty worried about my left leg shaking uncontrollably with minimal physical exertion.

Hi, Austin, I see no resemblance between what you wrote and ALS, but, as with all kinds of symptoms that come up suddenly and interfere with activities, you should see your primary care physician.

Best,
Laurie

You did not describe anything caused by ALS.

"ceased for 10 days then symptoms arose again.
ALS doesnt stop or get better. It just gets worse.

"involuntary thumb and middle finger twitch/movement (this lasted for a week and hasn’t returned)
Could be a WHOLE LOT of things as simple as diet, minerals, vitamins.

"fasciculations all over body
Healthy people twitch, too. Could be many things. Does not make one think of ALS.

" sore legs, left leg shakes uncontrollably i
Again, look for a different cause.

" palatal myoclonus (throat click)
Sounds entertaining. Develop this like a talent and go on TV.

" constant spitting up of mucus and swallowing
Nothing to do with ALS.

" excessive saliva that drools out of the left side of my mouth
Can cause fungus infection in the corner of your lips. Use an antifungal if that happens.

"difficulty saying certain words (maybe some slurring?)
Maybe not anything. Ask your PCP.

"- stiff hands in morning gets better as day goes on
Gets better: good.

"- left side cheek numbness that comes and goes
Lots of possibilities, but not has nothing to do with ALS.

"- left hand is very shaky and fingers move involuntarily
Look at some other condition, not ALS.

The good news: You don't belong here at all, for sure. Seriously.
All this stuff seems unrelated. Ask your Primary Care MD if any of it is worth worrying about.

Thanks for the replies! I guess I am concerned because these symptoms are all unfamiliar. I’ll be sure to give an update once I have my neuro appointment.

Cheers

Very concerned

Hello,

I posted here about a month ago with some symptoms that began May 28th, 2018. I am scheduled for an EMG this Tuesday, but seem to be getting worse everyday. I’m 26 years old, very slim, and a former collegiate athlete.

So far I’ve had blood work done and everything came back normal. This all began one day when I woke up feeling sore in left leg and body wide twitching.

Symptoms:

Body wide fasiculations (thigh, calves, feet, buttocks, chest, shoulders, neck, face, eyelid, almost constant below right eye) jaw tremors when I speak sometimes.

Right hand weakness. I’ve had a few episodes of numbness shooting through my hand/arm. Mainly my thumb, index and wrist are weak. Maybe thenar atrophy. I really notice when I’m trying to use my iPhone. Sometimes my hand just feels numb or stops working for a second. Very shaky thumbs/fingers.

I’ve had constant mucus in my throat for about a month now and what I feel is problems saying certain words. Mostly words with “R” in it. (Mirror, probably, irregular etc) continuous spitting and clearing of throat all day. Some trouble swallowing depending on what I’m eating.

Some shortness of breath starting last weekend. I actually passed out this past Saturday. I’ve been wheezing and coughing as well.

I feel like my left buttcheek is weaker/getting smaller and it feels very odd when I walk. My left left leg has felt off and been sore for some time.

My left leg tremors if bend down or put any weight on it.

I don’t have full on cramps, but get these pains like I’m about to cramp but they last for a second. More often at night once I start falling asleep. Usually in my feet or buttocks.

I have been losing weight. I was 142 pounds when these symptoms started, now about 136.

So essentially in a matter of 2 months all of these symptoms have arisen. I felt perfectly normal before May 28th.

I don’t feel like ALS would come on this quickly, but I’m also very skinny with low body fat. I have really been struggling trying to keep myself calm, but it’s really hard when I feel like things are progressing rapidly.

Mod note: moved to already open thread.

Lonestar, I've moved your new post to your first thread. It's still open so you can keep posting here. It helps members see all your posting in one place to get the full picture.

I'm not sure how much more people here can provide you. The EMG on Thursday should help your neuro figure out where to look next. The folks here can't speculate, given your symptoms still don't show any pattern resembling ALS.

Hey all, just wanted to give an update.

Had an EMG performed on my left leg and right arm (problem areas) by a Physical Medicinist who then sent it over to my Neuromuscular doctor. Physical medicinist said the EMG looked normal. Although I heard pretty consistent noise while the needles were in me? Anyway, the neuro scanned over the results quickly and said they looked fine as well. He suggested I get an MRI and follow up in the two months.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back