Not open for further replies.

Pandora2013

Country
Uni
State
COLORADO
City
Boulder
I have been having a weird situation where it seems that when I exhale through my nose, my soft palate is rising up and blocking the flow to my nose from my lungs. And the harder I blow, the more it is blocked. If I release the blow and try again slower, it works fine and the palate is not sealing off the airway. I can breathe through my mouth just fine and am not having a stuffy nose, and What could be causing this?

Technically, when you breathe through your nose, the palate should stay down, and when breathing out your mouth is when the palate should rise up. The fact that it is rising should tell me it isn't weak, but It just feels wrong regardless.

This also seems to be a similar thing that happens when people lay down, or have sleep apnea. This happens to me when I am awake.

I have no speech or swallowing issues, however I have had bodywide twitching for months, but have had clean limb EMGs 2 months ago but cannot afford to go back again for a while. I mentioned having neck and tongue twitches to the neuro but he didn't even check my mouth or anything!

This weird flappy nasopharynx blocking thing started a couple weeks after that last appointment. The neck twitches continue.

I was just concerned this might be a Bulbar issue and was wondering if any PALS experienced this?

Why do people think there neurologists and try to self test and diagnose themselves?

You are fine.........no bulbar issues,clean emg's ect ect.
Full body twitching is benign,either bfs or anxiety.

I have a weak palate........have inhale very deeply to get palate to rise,when i drink sometimes it goes up and out my nose BUT i also have many other bulbar problems not forgetting the fact i have clinical weakness and can't walk much.
GET ON WITH YOUR LIFE,STOP STRESSING.

All I was asking was if anyone with bulbar issues has experienced this weird flappy thing happening when they exhale out their nose.

I know the twitches are benign. I am not even bringing that into question. I do trust the limb EMGs I have had.

I do live my life, I was just asking a simple question.

An ENT doctor will provide you with a far better answer to your problem than anyone on this board.

It was just a question if anyone here has ever experienced that. I Know an ENT doctor can help but I have no insurance so therefore, cannot go to one.

Sorry to bother you.

Your soft palate goes up when you inhale(not exhale)and when you swallow.
How do you know your soft palate goes up when you exhale through your nose? you look in the mirror with your mouth open?
We are not here as unpaid substitutes for obsessive hyperchondriacts.
Your "symptoms" sound nothing like bulbar als.......just someone with too much time on there hands.
...........and if you dont like the answers given sort out your insurance and see a doctor.

Last edited:
My palate is sealing off the nasopharynx when I exhale out my nose, up meaning up and back. Like when you hold breath in your cheeks and your palate blocks your nose... it does that when I breathe out my nose..... I know because I can feel it. And hence, it blocks the exhale.

I didn't mean it LIFTED as in when you say Ahh....

I am far from being a hypochondriac, as I rarely have issues with things unless there is something weird going on.

There is no 'sorting out my insurance'... I have no insurance and cannot afford it if I could get it.

I dont have a clue what your going on at...........you say it lifts up and back but does'nt lift like when you say ahhh...contradictory,if it lifts up and back then its lifting. And i dont think exhaling through your nose has anything to do with the soft palate lifting.

With soft palate weakness/paralysis there is difficulty lifting the soft palate at all........when i say ahhh more ofton than not it just wont move,i have to inhale very hard and sharp to get it to lift. you get food and drink inhaling up your nose as the soft palate does not close of the nasal entry.
In severe/late stages the soft palate drops down and you get problems with breathing as it closes off the airways.

AGAIN i dont think anything is wrong but if it bothers you that much i know there are resources/options for those without insurance to get medical assistance.

It is hard to explain but here it is simply put. When I exhale out my nose, my palate seals off my nasopharynx area so I cannot exhale out my nose. Like a quick exhale out my nose, and it is blocked from the back, so I have to breathe through my mouth instead.

Kind of like if someone puffs out their cheeks and their palate is blocking the nasopharynx area, that is the palate blockage which happens when I exhale out my nose, it just kind of "slams shut" as I exhale out my nose. Except my cheeks aren't puffed, it just does it when I exhale out my nose, not my mouth.

I understand late stage palate weakness. I was just curious if this might be indicative of an early stage of something since it is not normal.

I cannot get insurance. I was recently laid off from my job, and my unemployment money is too much income for any medical benefits, but not enough for me to go to a doctor.

I won't bother you guys anymore. I know this is a weird condition and I have no idea what it is, as I cannot find any info on it anywhere!

Quoting from your first post: (QUOTE):
--------------------------------------
"I was just concerned this might be a Bulbar issue and was wondering if any PALS experienced this?"
--------------------------------------
So, based on that statement, you "suspect" you may have a..."Bulbar issue", just like a PALS with Bulbar onset. Therefore, you think you may have ALS, even without a Neurologist diagnosis or an EMG of your Bulbar region.
But, you cannot afford going to see an ENT nor a Neurologist to get a RIGHT diagnosis.
So, basically, you are looking for a diagnosis here on these forums as you cannot afford to see a physician, right?

Did you know that the people on this board are mainly people living with ALS (PALS) and their caregivers (CALS) who do not hold any Medical Science Degree at all?

Did you know that many PALS here have their limbs affected by atrophy and can hardly type even a short message?

Without an EMG of your Bulbar region, showing signs of "chronic denervation" (which happens with Bulbar onset ALS), how are we supposed to know what is going on with your soft palate?
It might be many, many, many things, but, how do we know for sure which one is it without the results of an EMG? See?

ALS, Bulbar onset (as far as I know) doesn't start with soft palate issues. It attacks the cranial nerves that nourish the tongue causing it to fasciculate, atrophy and shrink, provoking a slurred speech, then it attacks the muscles involved in chewing food and it also attacks your swallowing muscles.
Do you have one of these symptoms? You don't, based on your post. Then why keep going and going and going with this?

Be mindful, I am NOT making a diagnosis based on your "symptoms" whatsoever, I am just pointing out how generally I've seen Bulbar onset starting and spreading.

NH

Last edited:
Thanks nighthawk........flogging a dead horse with this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back