Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
PA
City
Philadelphia
I know that Dr. Google is my worst enemy here, but have been experiencing some weird symptoms over the past several weeks.

38 year old male. Noticed forearm twitching a few weeks ago. Stiffness in hands. Point-tenderness in one of my fingers. Some numbness in the palm of one hand and the fingers (comes and goes).

Also experienced some bicep twitching in dominant arm. Problems with hands (stiffness, numbness, lack of dexterity) appear to be bilateral.

In addition, some discomfort in bottom of foot and perceived gait issue (lack of coordination).

By way of some background, I have energetic infant @ home that I am constantly on the floor with, using my hands to keep him from jumping out of my arms. I actually felt one hand cramp the other day while he was attempting to dive out of my arms.

Wanted to see if any of these symptoms sound concerning. Normally, the hand disturbances and foot pain wouldn't bother me, but the muscle twitching, particularly in the forearm and bicep is concerning. Twitching has not been consistent and seems pretty transient.

Do these symptoms sound like overuse/tendinitis of the hands/arms or more concerning initial symptoms of something more significant?

Thanks for the feedback and sorry if anyone feels I am wasting their time.

As a follow up, I wanted to pose another question:

With als onset, is it possible/common for someone to experience both upper limb and lower limb symptoms simultaneously?

Would appreciate a response. Thank you.

F/U with neuro

I previously posted that I was having numbness in my fingers (dominant hand) and muscle twitching in biceps and forearms bilaterally. The muscle twitching was transient and lasted only for a few seconds.

I have read such conflicting accounts of muscle twitching as a precursor to ALS. Some sources say twitching without weakness, no ALS. Other first hand accounts of ALS onset describe several months of sporadic twitching which preceded weakness.

Because I had some concerns, I went to a neuro and specifically told him that my primarly concern was ALS. He conducted a neurological exam and told me it was benign which i assumed meant no weakness. He said my reflexes were symmetrical, but he didn't mention anything about whether they were brisk or not. Having done some research (albeit google research), I know that he did not test for clonus in wrist. He felt mild carpal tunnel and offered EMG for peace of mind.

Do I get the EMG or simply rest easy knowing that the neuro clinical exam was normal?

I appreciate any feedback.

Re: F/U with neuro

Eaglesfan, you wrote that he did a neurological exam, if he pulled against your arms and you pushed against his hand... if clonus was present he would have seen it. Clonus does not occur without a trigger, in other words, it doesn't happen if your wrist is completely at rest.

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome can only be determined with an NCS series. He may have been just off the cuff on that one.

As for getting an EMG without his serious concern for one... It's your dime.

Re: F/U with neuro

Eaglesfan, you wrote that he did a neurological exam, if he pulled against your arms and you pushed against his hand... if clonus was present he would have seen it. Clonus does not occur without a trigger, in other words, it doesn't happen if your wrist is completely at rest.

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome can only be determined with an NCS series. He may have been just off the cuff on that one.

As for getting an EMG without his serious concern for one... It's your dime.

Thanks for the reply. He did pull against my arms and I did push against his hand. Assumed that he was strength testing as opposing to testing for clonus.

Will probably hold off on EMG unless new syptoms or worsening of hand issues.

Appreciate your feedback and taking time out of your day to field my anxiety-ridden question.

Mod note: I have merged your most recent posts with your old. Please continue posting in your original thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back