Sym

Status
Not open for further replies.
Henry, you referred to Dr. Google.

“…and when reading Dr Goggle on this, it always refers to shakiness as
issues with nerve diseases.”

That tells me you may have read previous replies where we have referred
to Google as Dr. Google.

What is frustrating to some of our very ALS knowledgeable members is…
You have yet to see a qualified doctor to address all your new posted
symptoms.
You’re not a doctor nor is your wife.

Once again… again

Thousands of Americans have falsely convinced themselves they have a
serious disease, after turning to 'Dr Google' – according to new research.
Instead of alleviating concerns, 74 percent of those who have self-diagnosed,
online searching for their symptoms, made them worry MORE about their health.

That is due to the answers given by Dr Google, of internet medical advice,
was found by researchers to be misleading without proper evaluation by a
a qualified physician.

Sixty-five percent of respondents who used the internet to self-diagnose
themselves the results show typing your symptoms into the search bar might
do more harm than good.

Last edited:
Hi Henry.
2 months ago my mother passed away from what doctors could only call a “very rare variant” of MND. There’s still an element of doubt as to whether it was it, as 1 week prior to death she was still living independently, walking, talking, showering herself, eating, just that everything was incredibly slow and weak. But there was never any actual failure until her breathing failed in hospital. Her biggest issue was speech and swallowing, but all over weakness. However she never mentioned twitching, muscles cramps or spasms throughout any of the illness.

I myself have a decent dose of health anxiety, and throughout and since her death I’ve also been hyper aware or muscle twitches, weakness in a limb (that tends to disappear when I’m actually doing something that’s taken my mind off it funny enough) and have also had the fear of ALS in my mind. But I thankfully also have a tendency to over analyse things to the point I can pick my fears apart. The fact that I’m still functioning normally tells me it’s my anxiety, as it sounds like it may be partly torturing you too.

You mentioned you have a friend with ALS, that connection can really bring it to the forefront of your mind and makes you realise none of us are immune. that’s not to say the twitches and weakness etc are not real. My body definitely twitches and spasms all over, and I even get heart palpitations but in my case it’s anxiety causing hell, and poor diet since I can’t really get myself together after losing mum.

You also mentioned your on a diet. I’m not sure if it’s Keto by any chance, but if so, as effective as it is, it can completely destroy the electrolyte balance if your not careful. Mums doctor put her on keto (that’s how seriously she was taken 🙄 always blame the weight) so I did it with her for support. Yes we lost weight, but me personally, my muscles go so severely weak and fatigued that walking around my yard was tiring, and even now months later I still have trouble with one arm, and that’s also when a lot of my twitching started and now if I don’t keep up with electrolytes each day it goes downhill fast. It completely ruined my natural system balance and I can only imagine what further damage it did to mum before we realised.

Please see a doctor at least to put your mind at rest but also keep in mind that personally witnessing ALS, and the power of our minds and nasty anxiety, can definitely convince us to feel real symptoms. Many other things even diabetes can cause muscle issues too, so don’t let this consume and take over your life when you can seek reassurance from your doc. Those on here diagnosed don’t have that luxury so best to talk to your doc 🙂 good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all, sorry for the late response to all your feedback. I was up north and internet not so great. Thx again to everyone for taking the time to respond, it was very much appreciated, even though I know I can be a very frustrating person!! I will be booking a doctor appt in the near future to discuss symptoms with him and then hopefully figure out what's going on.

Whispa, I am so very sorry to hear about your mom. After reading what you wrote, I hope that I am just going thru similar anxiety issues and pray that is all it is . I also feel like my left hand is sometimes a little more weak/awkward/stiff than the right hand (especially the last 2 fingers). I also seem to be paying more attention to the way I walk more and sometimes I feel more clumsy / less stable on my feet than I have ever been (probably because now I am paying so much attention to all the little things now……….).

The diet I was on is called the Gina Livy diet and it is actually a very healthy diet that includes all salads, fruits, vegies, nuts, etc. It does not include carbs such as bread, pasta, potatoes, etc. I lost 16 Ibs on it and I am now off it……………I do understand that when one loses weight, they also lose muscle mass.

When you mention diabetic and muscles, I just had a complete physical done in April/21 and all this was checked and no issues appeared on blood work. When you mentioned that if ‘you don’t keep up with your electrolytes each day, it goes downhill fast’, what extra supplements are you taking that is helping you out?

Thx again to all and God Bless.

Henry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back