Diagnosis
03/2017
Country
US
State
MA
City
Grafton
I know this has been discussed before, sorry. But what's the best care routine for swollen feet/ankles? We noticed it last night and my husband massaged them thoroughly and I went to bed where my feet are slightly elevated. I thought thatd be the end of it, but I just woke up and theyre still swollen.

I massaged, tighter socks helped - but basically we could not make this go away. I think feet need to be higher than heart.

Keep your feet elevated all day, as much as possible.

Make sure he massages so as to push the fluid up toward the center of the body (up the legs), starting with the highest point of the swelling and avoiding any "mushy" tissue to prevent damage.

Avoid direct heat (like showers) on what's swollen.

Diet, including sugar and salt, can have an influence. Fruits and veggies are good, pureed for the tube. Are you using a commercial formula?

My PT sits across from me and rests my foot on his chest and then slowly leans forward to flex my ankle, all the while massaging lightly upwards, only upwards. He also moves my ankle around once it's stretched. It's amazing how quickly he can bring the swelling down. And yes, elevate as much as possible, but I'm not very diligent about that.

thanks for the suggestions.

Laurie, I use Kate Farms formula, which is an organic plant based formula. I can still eat some (im about 50% by mouth 50% by tube). Have been eating a lot of mango and avocado, they are both the perfect texture for me. In summer we do green shakes down the feeding tube, which is why I posted about vitamix. Our current blender frequently clogs my tube.

You'll love the Vitamix. It will make whatever consistency you need.

If you can lie flat in your bed (wearing your mask) have your husband hold your legs up so they are above your heart. This is actually a yoga position that helps with swelling. I have a yoga instructor friend who achieves this by lying on the floor and putting her legs up against a wall for 10 minutes. I sometimes do a zero gravity position in my lift chair to take the pressure off my back.

Avoid heat on your legs if they are swelled and remind anyone giving you a massage to massage upward, toward your heart.

There is no pill, procedure, or surgery that can prevent leg swelling when walking is limited. It has to be treated by the three words we hate to hear; Life Style Changes. Minimizing swelling is a do it yourself project! In addition to elevating your feet at night, elevate them for about 15 minutes several times a day. Putting your feet up in a recliner is minimally helpful unless you recline as much as your recliner allows. Wear compression hose and consider buying an SCD (Sequential Compression Device). Make certain that when you are sitting your feet are supported enough to reduce the weight on the back of your thighs and knees.
Remember that swelling causes worse swelling because it begins to collapse the valves in the leg veins that help blood move back upward. Collapsed valves don't heal and cannot be fixed! Long term swelling causes very hard to heal, leaking, and infection prone leg ulcers (sores).
For more complete information, go to:

All great advice. One thing I would like to add. There is a commonly used class of blood pressure medicine called dihydropyridine calcium channel blockers. They have a dose related side effect of edema. I was on 10mg of amlodipine per day, and my feet blew up. I asked my PCP to decrease it, and the edema improved dramatically when I got down to my current dose of 2.5mg. I tolerated the higher dose for years, but after a few months in the pwc, my legs swelled.
Good luck!

I, too, have just one foot and ankle that swell badly. The Palliative Care Unit at UCSF recommended compression socks. They came from Amazon four days ago and the swelling has been reduced remarkably. Because summer is here, I bought just the short socks and they are comfortable and work well. Hope that may help!

I'm experiencing the same problem recently. I had an occassional problem when the temperatures were high. But now it is constant. It too started when I restarted my prescription of amlodipine for high blood pressure. Laurie suggested another medication since this one is known to cause edema. My PCP recommended compression socks (which I said would be so difficult for me to wear) and lowering my dosage in half. Swelling continued although not as severe so she prescribed lasix twice a week. The only problem with the lasix is the frequenct trips to the toilet which are very exhausting. I am hoping for a different medication next time I report to my PCP.
I will suggest the massage to my husband and daughter. Thanks for the reminder of this advice.
Cathy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back