Diagnosis
07/2017
Country
DE
State
BW
City
Stuttgart
Quite honestly, I'm trying for days now to make proper use of the search function here but I don't find the concentration to follow through with it.

My PALS speech is going quickly and things with health insurance are going slow. Time for improv. We have an old iPad and found out roughly how to use the switch control of the inbuilt accessibility settings. Cool stuff. He seems to get stuck with the control entering "space" all the time. That's a dead end. Maybe it's because we use the space key of a bluetooth keyboard as a switch. Hm.

(He tested the eye-gaze and didn't get the hang of if, calibration wasn't possible while wearing his glasses and the breathing mask, be both have zero patience for calibrating. I'm aware of how good it could be but it's not what my questions today are about.)

Is there good or free (or even both) communication software to use easily with switch control? Does it work on mac, pc or android?

With the eye-gaze he also tested the Grid 3 software which seems to cover all basic communication needs well. Does anyone use Grid3 via switch on a windows 10 tablet? The tech guy keeps telling me that you can only use switch control via mac and I don't want to believe him.

Any input and is highly appriciated. :- )

Wish - Brian at first tried a Tobii eyegaze and that did not work for him period. The actual person from Tobii came and could not get him to calibrate either. We then moved to an Accent with PRC software/eyegaze. Bingo no issues with the eyegaze, well mostly but it’s what he uses. And before using the eye gaze he used a switch with it. It runs on Windows 10.

They eyegaze for the Accent uses different tech than the one for Tobii. See if your speech therapist can find that brand for you there in Germany. Also, someone here mentioned one that can travel w/any Windows, maybe, computer and is just the eyegaze module for about 150 US. It wasn’t long ago, so maybe search travel eyegaze not more than 6 months ago. Found it Tobii eye tracker 4c. It says with any computer or tablet. Try that in the search. I went back to an email I sent my ALSA rep about it for her info.

Hope that helps

Wish,
Can he still use a head mouse like the SmartNav or just his head as a switch? Could he use a chin or tongue mouse? How is he activating the switch?

We are waiting desperately for the headmouse. Everything is tangled up in burocracy. He tested a headmouse in December and it worked great. I hope his head and neck will last a couple more month.

I downloaded a 60-day-trial of smartbox's Grid 3 software to have that on his windows 10 laptop. I put a sticker on the belly of a regular mouse and set it up like a switch and he can click it to slowly work the software.

Wish, look up “micro light switch”. That’s the type Brian started with. They take very little pressure to move. Also “candy corn switch”, it’s proximal, so they don’t have to actually push it, just get very close.

Hugs,

Sue

Try Optikey. It's free and works with standard web cameras that are about 100 bucks. There are also several face tracking android apps ive been testing that work ...OK... would take some practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back