Diagnosis
11/2008
Country
CA
State
BC
City
Campbell River
The wife has been experiencing some extreme swelling in her calves ankles and feet after being in her wheelchair for too long or sitting in her lazy boy chair. She goes to bed anytime after 7pm so she can elevate her feet and watch TV before sleep. With her foot drop and of course unable to really move her legs at all I am at a loss as to what to do for her to help stop the swelling. The only time I have seen her feet not swollen in the last year was after her IVIG they tried before her diagnosed of ALS thinking her issue may have been CIDP. Any other PALS or CALS experiencing this and or seen this and have any idea's? We have discussed it once with her GP and I guess we need to discuss it again and probably email the team at the ALS clinic we are now going to.

hey Steve,
That's probably the best idea-email her ALS team. It could be she's holding fluid in her ankles/feet?
Will certainly keep you both in my prayers,
take good care,
brenda

Hi Steve. Elevation is about the best thing for swelling. Lazyboy chairs can be bad as some of them actually cut off the circulation. I'll look up the link about it. My Cardiologist put me on Lasix for swelling. Makes you pee a lot for first few hours after taking and helps somewhat but you need potassium supplements unless you can eat 2 bananas a day. Here is the link. Good reading.
http://www.living-with-als.org/Diane/swelling.html

AL

Steve, I agree completely that raising her legs is a good move, but have you tried compression stockings on her? I'm wearing TEDS, and it was very helpful for my swelling. They are considered a "medium" compression, and I'm told a stronger compression is available with a zipper.
Ann

Was looking at those while at the pharmacy today getting a perscription filled for her. Thanks.

Lasix

My Husband, Buddy, was diagnosed March 2005, we are beginning our 4th year. He is completely wheelchair bound and his feet, ankles, calves and hands became so swollen and then he started coughing up a ton of liquid - I began to worry about congestive heart failure. I called our Hopsice nurse and they have put him on Lasix and inserted an internal catheter. I do have to add liquid potassium to the flushing liquid when I flush his feeding tube because the lasix depletes the body of potassium. He's only been on the Lasix for a few days but I do see a slight difference in his hands. Hope this helps a bit.

Brenda

same city

Brenda we are in the same area. Can you email me at [email protected].
My wife is the pals, I have a question, thanks

Buddy's Sister

I see my awesome sister in-law posted about Buddy's swelling. I was just down visiting Buddy and the Lasik doesn’t seemed to help at all, the swelling in his legs is unbelievable it goes up his whole leg and they are hard as tree trunks, i mean so stiff, i can't imagine it's just from nonmovement....... and he is so uncomfortable. the Lasik does not seem to be helping at all. Hospice is going to try upping the dose, his legs are also very hot and red at the shins. Has anyone experienced this?

My wife always says my legs are cold from below my knees to my feet. She's always telling me my legs and feet are like a block of ice. The only noticable swelling I get is in my feet, if I don't keep them propped up at my pc. Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back